Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-07, 10:12 PM   #1
Hype

Thumbs down The multi arch, multi GPU X crash/lock thread - let's solve this!

Unfortunately many of us seem to be experiencing this problem. I picked up an Asus M2NPV-VM for my new system because many people reported great linux stability. That has not been the case, due to the lockup that we all love to hate. I've seen this affecting people of nvidia, ati and even via video users, on amd64 and p4/c2d processors. For some, driver rollbacks work and for others its BIOS. Let's pool our information here so that we can either find a common cause, or give the developers more meaningful information.

cpu: athlon 64 x2 4000+
motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM (shipped with BIOS 901, but I also rolled back to 504). This is an nForce 430 mcp based board.
distro: ubunty feisty x86
nvidia driver: 100.14.19
video: 3d fuzion 7300LE

I also have tried an asus m2r32-mvp (ati sb600 chipset) and had lockups there as well. I have an MSI 7300 LE that needs to go back to newegg because it doesnt support dual analog, but maybe I can try that card to see if crashing is dependent on board manufacturer (i.e. deviation from the spec, lower quality components etc). Haven't used the onboard video for the same reason.

Idea: someone proposed this was a common problem in cards with "TurboCache"... any thoughts on this? Can this be disabled?

My crashes occur when I'm using the computer (never when I'm away). Browsing with firefox, working in gedit, pidgin... mundane stuff. I tried to crash it by running glxgears, and rapidly spinning the compiz desktop cube (haha) - to no avail. Try playing a flash game, or sometimes running make on a large project will do it too. I normally DO NOT run compiz-fusion, but it crashes even WITHOUT it.

Please share as much information as possible, thanks.
Hype is offline   Reply With Quote