Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-07, 07:30 PM   #37
nageroc

Default Re: Nvidia Mcp51 High Definition Audio, really no hopes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farcaller
F3T fixed in gentoo's alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234
Doesn't help us Gateway owners...still nuttin'.

Quote:
eames ~ # dmesg | grep -i alsa
ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234/work/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2_p3234/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2171: autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x12/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234/work/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2_p3234/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2175: speaker_outs=1 (0xe/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234/work/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2_p3234/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2179: hp_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234/work/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2_p3234/pci/hda/hda_codec.c:2187: inputs: mic=0x0, fmic=0x10, line=0x0, fline=0x0, cd=0x0, aux=0x0
ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234/work/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2_p3234/pci/hda/../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/patch_si3054.c:245: si3054: cannot initialize. EXT MID = 0000
ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234/work/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2_p3234/pci/hda/../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/patch_si3054.c:257: Link Frame Detect(FDT) is not ready (line status: 0000)
Chris
nageroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 12:30 PM   #38
rolandbough

[ sigh ]

Yeah I am fairly discouraged with NVIDIA and my Gateway MX3414 I think I am an additional brother in arms with those Gateway owners, Just checking I have looked everywhere I haven't missed the actual solution to this issue have I? or have any of you been able to get it going and just haven't updated this board? any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ro
rolandbough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 07:23 PM   #39
chris_startx

Quote:
Originally Posted by version7
I understand the frustration you all have with sound not working in systems with this HDA chip, but you may well be "barking up the wrong tree".

Like AC97, HDA is a "front-end" controller to a "back-end" codec that actually generates the sound. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC97 for more details.

The 'lspci' command will show you what AC97 or HDA chip you have, but something like 'cat /proc/asound/cards' would show you what "back-end" you actually need support for.

For example, on this three-year-old Gateway M675 laptop:

# lspci | grep -i audio

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

# cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [ICH5 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Intel ICH5 with STAC9758,59 at 0xe0000c00, irq 16

A few years ago, I had to create an initialization patch for ALSA to get the STAC9758 to work in the M675.

The datasheets for the STAC chips are available, but the trick with them is that they have multiple inputs and outputs. Motherboards or sound cards that use the chips may connect these inputs and outputs differently. So initialization patches are necessary in those cases.

To create the patches, one will need to:

a) use trial and error (as I did)
b) get information about the motherboard or sound card from the manufacturer (the actual makers - for example, recent Gateway laptops use motherboards made by Arima, Quanta, etc.)
c) other ways?

Unless an ALSA developer has access to the same hardware that you have, you may wish to provide feedback to them on the ALSA development mailing list(s). Someone may be able to help figure out the proper initialization that's needed for your system.

I hope this information helps.

Please, can you give some example as to what exactly an "initialization patch" is and how can you make it? And detail a little bit what do you mean by trial and error? Are you talking machine code (assembler) or what? What exactly can be tried here?
chris_startx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 07:52 PM   #40
chris_startx

Default FOR ALL GATEWAY MX3410 UNHAPPY OWNERS

Hello people.

I see there are a few unhappy MX3410 owners, including me. If anybody is interested, I can post my Knoppix 4.0.2 remaster for you all to download as an ISO image. For those interested, I can post an SD card version, which will fit a 1GB SD card. I have all this working, and also I'm already finished with the DVD version (remaster I mean).

What I have done so far is that I have all the hardware working, except for the modem and the sound, even though I have the latest ALSA drivers compiled from source and the sound driver loads perfectly and is running with no errors, The only thing is that there is no sound coming out.

Yes, the wireless is working, thanks to myself who downloaded the drivers for Realtek 8185 and compiled them (by the way, my laptop has a Realtek 8185 wireless card in it; It may be possible that not everyone else has the same card as me, in which case the wireless net will probably not work!!!).
Also, I wrote a small script that displays a nice window with the available wireless networks around and lets you connect to one, preferrably with no encryption, because I have not yet gone that far with my script.

Also I installed KNemo from sources, and this way I have the network icons in my taskbar and in their context menus I put some extra goodies.

So, if anyone is interested, say something.

Chris
Old 04-15-07, 10:33 AM   #41
nageroc

Default Re: FOR ALL GATEWAY MX3410 UNHAPPY OWNERS

Hi Chris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_startx
Yes, the wireless is working, thanks to myself who downloaded the drivers for Realtek 8185 and compiled them (by the way, my laptop has a Realtek 8185 wireless card in it; It may be possible that not everyone else has the same card as me, in which case the wireless net will probably not work!!!).
I managed to get this working this weekend, but only with ndiswrapper and the 32-bit Windows driver, which means that I am still stuck running Linux in 32-bit. I tried ndiswrapper with the 64-bit driver and it panics the kernel. I also tried the driver from Realtek and it won't compile for me. Others have reported that it is broken for newer kernels (greater than 2.6.18, it appears, and Gentoo is using 2.6.19). At any rate, the Linux driver provided by Realtek is really the open source driver from rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net and that project has been abandoned.

Just more crappy hardware that is poorly supported under Linux. At least I can get rid of one USB device (my D-Link wireless USB key) though what will I do with it now? More money wasted...

I am debating whether I should waste even more money on a USB sound key because it seems unlikely that I'll ever get a peep out of the onboard nVidia chipset.

Chris
Old 04-21-07, 11:45 PM   #42
chris_startx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nageroc
I managed to get this working this weekend, but only with ndiswrapper and the 32-bit Windows driver, which means that I am still stuck running Linux in 32-bit. I tried ndiswrapper with the 64-bit driver and it panics the kernel. I also tried the driver from Realtek and it won't compile for me. Others have reported that it is broken for newer kernels (greater than 2.6.18, it appears, and Gentoo is using 2.6.19). At any rate, the Linux driver provided by Realtek is really the open source driver from rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net and that project has been abandoned.
Hi Chris

Well, I'm using Knoppix 4.0.2 right now, that means kernel 2.6.12. For this kernel, compilation of rtl8180-sa2400 went ok and I have working drivers. I used the "rtl8180-sa2400.tar.bz2" file with a size of 92642 bytes. I even tested it by connecting to some wireless access points that had no encryption and it worked, that is after I wrote a small TCL/Tk script to display and select a network to connect to. I still have to work on it to add encryption capability, but right now it's functional, I can use it.

I understand you prefer using Gentoo, I personally never used that and my preference is remastering Knoppix myself to add whatever I want to it. I'm using it pretty nicely, from an SD card, so I don't even need a CD drive or a hard drive. I don't know actually if rtl8180-sa2400 cannot be compiled for more recent kernel versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nageroc
Just more crappy hardware that is poorly supported under Linux. At least I can get rid of one USB device (my D-Link wireless USB key) though what will I do with it now? More money wasted...

I am debating whether I should waste even more money on a USB sound key because it seems unlikely that I'll ever get a peep out of the onboard nVidia chipset.
Well, the sound problem is driving me crazy too...
I think the only solution is whatever that user ("version7") said about ALSA initialization patch. But as you can see, he did not care to explain to me what exactly is there to be tried, so it's just steam. I was thinking too about getting some add-on sound card that would work in Linux, but I'm not really sure what can I find. I don't think I would like some USB card because I hate things sticking out of my laptop all the time. That's why I approached the SD card method for booting Linux. It stays IN and not OUT of my laptop and I don't have to be extra careful not to break it, as I would with a regular USB stick (flash drive).
So I was thinking maybe a PCMCIA (or CARDBUS, whatever they call it, I'm not sure what our laptops have but I guess it's PCMCIA) sound card would be nicer because it's not sticking out of the laptop like intestines out of a cut belly. But I have to dig out and see what PCMCIA sound cards are actually supported in Linux. Ehh... NVIDIA begins to sound like crap to me...
Old 04-22-07, 10:55 AM   #43
nageroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_startx
So I was thinking maybe a PCMCIA (or CARDBUS, whatever they call it, I'm not sure what our laptops have but I guess it's PCMCIA) sound card would be nicer because it's not sticking out of the laptop like intestines out of a cut belly. But I have to dig out and see what PCMCIA sound cards are actually supported in Linux. Ehh... NVIDIA begins to sound like crap to me...
Careful...the adapter in the MX3410 is not a CardBus but rather something called ExpressCard/54. Have a look here:

http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/about.jsp

I haven't found any sound card that uses this format. Note that these adapters will stick out the side of your notebook, albeit not as much as a USB stick.

Interesting. I thought the Realtek was on the motherboard, but after looking closely at the Gateway manuals, it is really a mini PCI card that can easily be removed. Wish I had noticed that sooner.

Chris
Old 05-06-07, 10:50 PM   #44
fernandoph

I have a nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio card onboard of course, It works perfect using alsa. But you have to download the latest drivers from http://www.alsa-project.org/ . Im using now alsa-driver-1.0.14rc4 that was released on 2007-04-03.
Im using Debian Etch as OS with kernel 2.6.18-4-k7.

1) download file ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/drive....14rc4.tar.bz2

2) run:
# bzcat alsa-driver-1.0.14rc4.tar.bz2 |tar xvf -

3)
# cd alsa-driver-1.0.14rc4
# ./configure
# make

4) Now, If you have already a system with ALSA init script, you should install
just only modules via 'make install-modules' so that the existing init script won't be replaced. If this is your case (mine) run:
# make install-modules

if not, just run:
# make install
(as root of course...)

5) after all this done, you can run alsaconf so alsa autodetects the audio card.

6) READ the documentation that comes with the package, VERY IMPORTANT!!!.

Regards....
fernandoph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-07, 11:44 AM   #45
xamat

After doing exactly what was suggested in the previous post I am just where I was: I can't control headphone and speaker volume independently. If I connect headphones the speakers keep on sounding.

Btw, even with this latest driver alsaconf did not detect the soundcard so I am basically exactly where I was before upgrading.

Do you have headphones/speakers working properly?
xamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 01:38 AM   #46
aggieml

I finally got my sound working after a month of searching various posts!

I have the NVidia MCP51 High Definition Audio with the Sigmatel STAC 9200 chip on it. It came with my Gateway MT3421 laptop.

I had given up on sound because everyone on forums had given up, but there's a patch for fixing this sound card on the alsa-bugs site!

Just go here and look for the post with the patch and follow the instructions:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=868053

A couple things:
1...you don't have to remove all alsa packages like he said in step 1. All I did was remove alsa-lib and alsa-utils.
2...the patch file is at the bottom of the post as an attachment.

I hope this works for some of you!

Mike
aggieml is offline   Reply With Quote