Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-06, 01:49 AM   #1
noranthon

Default alsa driver for nVidia MCP51 AC97 (rev a2) NOT working

Greetings, all. I hope someone can set me straight here.

First, I've got Mandriva 2006 and SuSE 10 installed, both on probation for various reasons.

1. In Mandriva I installed drivers obtained from nVidia for the network card and audio. The first worked, the second did not. An email to nVidia --> more silence.

2. An email to Foxconn, which made the motherboard got me this link:
ftp://202.65.194.18/pc/ac97/alc650/r...-3.5-6.tar.bz2

3. That installed an alsa based driver, recognised by alsaconf (which, finally, ran on Mandriva), as nVidia Corporation MCP51 AC97 Audio Controller (rev a2) with driver snd-intel8x0.

4. Using the KDE control in SuSE 10, I got sound working twice but only temporarily. Now, no encore. When I run the KDE control now, it shows that it is restarting the sound system. The progress bar starts, proceeds, finishes and starts again in a never-ending loop. alsamixer shows all components (except microphone, which I don't have) as unmuted. Not a peep! No midi driver is shown by KDE and it will not allow me to enter one.

5. Mandriva complained (I forget why - permissions I think) when I ran KDE control but it seems to have accepted the driver because it's not showing any null device message and it has alsa listed as the midi device. Unfortunately, once again, no sound. alsamixer shows all installed components as unmuted.

Two very popular distros, busily issuing new versions, cannot get it together with alsa. Any ideas, anyone, for either distro?
noranthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 02:38 AM   #2
shyamdsundar

Default Re: alsa driver for nVidia MCP51 AC97 (rev a2) NOT working

I guess its the pretty much same problem with mine as well... I got the sound working using the OSS driver (free for personal use). However, NVidia corp. should do definitely do some thing about this...
shyamdsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 03:31 AM   #3
noranthon

Thanks for the reply. I've had a pleasing development. To my surprise, next time I logged into Mandriva, sound blared from the speakers. I've now been back several times and it's still working. I've gone ahead and loaded up the Mandriva partition with the software I use and files I still need from my old system.

I cannot face SuSE again just yet (there is another outstanding problem besides sound). It occurs to me that there may be a conflict between alsa files already installed by SuSE and the files installed by the alsa-based installer provided by whoever.

Why the manufacturers do not cooperate with the distros, I do not understand. I returned the Motorola modem which came with the computer because the only Linux drivers were for old versions of distros (and only two distros, from memory). nVidia is definitely a name I shall remember unkindly. (pirate)
noranthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 02:03 AM   #4
aggieml

I finally got my sound working after a month of searching various posts!

I have the NVidia MCP51 High Definition Audio with the Sigmatel STAC 9200 chip on it. It came with my Gateway MT3421 laptop.

I had given up on sound because everyone on forums had given up, but there's a patch for fixing this sound card on the alsa-bugs site!

Just go here and look for the post with the patch and follow the instructions:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=868053

A couple things:
1...you don't have to remove all alsa packages like he said in step 1. All I did was remove alsa-lib and alsa-utils.
2...the patch file is at the bottom of the post as an attachment.

I hope this works for some of you!

Mike
aggieml is offline   Reply With Quote