Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-07, 01:18 AM   #13
knefas
Registered User
 
knefas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26
Default Re: Interrupts and wakeups: CPU waste.

This is solved in the new driver (.19), and is working like a charm for now.

Thanks NVIDIA!
knefas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 10:50 AM   #14
migish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: Interrupts and wakeups: CPU waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knefas
This is solved in the new driver (.19), and is working like a charm for now.

Thanks NVIDIA!
What do you mean 'solved'? I'm using version 100.14.19 (this is the one you are refering to, right?) and I get 60 wakeups per second (~120 when I use two monitors).

Could you elaborate on that, please?
migish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 10:55 AM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Interrupts and wakeups: CPU waste.

Per the driver README:

Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "boolean"

Normally, VBlank interrupts are generated on every vertical refresh of
every display device connected to the GPU(s) installed in a given system.
This experimental option enables on-demand VBlank control, allowing the
driver to enable VBlank interrupt generation only when it is required.
This can help conserve power.

Default: off (on-demand VBlank control is disabled).
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 10:55 AM   #16
tier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 118
Default Re: Interrupts and wakeups: CPU waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migish
What do you mean 'solved'? I'm using version 100.14.19 (this is the one you are refering to, right?) and I get 60 wakeups per second (~120 when I use two monitors). Have you disabled DRI?

Could you elaborate on that, please?
Quote:
Please note: although not listed in the release highlights, this driver release has experimental support for on-demand VBLANK interrupt generation, which can significantly lower the number of GPU interrupts generated per second on many systems. Please see the documenation for the OnDemandVBlankInterrupts X driver option in the README for additional information.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98635
Read it. Use it. Be Happy :P
tier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 11:38 AM   #17
migish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: Interrupts and wakeups: CPU waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Per the driver README:

Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "boolean"

Normally, VBlank interrupts are generated on every vertical refresh of
every display device connected to the GPU(s) installed in a given system.
This experimental option enables on-demand VBlank control, allowing the
driver to enable VBlank interrupt generation only when it is required.
This can help conserve power.

Default: off (on-demand VBlank control is disabled).
That did the trick for me! nvidia no longer appears on the powertop list.

netllama, tier thank you for your quick response.
migish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 05:54 AM   #18
pigeon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 57
Default Re: Interrupts and wakeups: CPU waste.

I just started trying OnDemandVBlankInterrupts out, and nvidia doesn't appear high up in powertop anymore.

On the other hand, I noticed with compiz, animations such as going into expo mode, scale mode, switching viewport/desktop *sometimes* look more jerky. Is this behavior normal?
__________________
Geforce 6600 256MB RAM
Geforce Go 7400 256MB RAM
Geforce 9300M GS 256MB RAM (ASUS N10J)
ION 512MB RAM (Acer Revo)
GTX 460 1G RAM x 2
GeForce GT 335M (Alienware M11X R2)
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.