Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-07, 03:58 PM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default NBA Live 08 Review (also compare to NBA 2k8 demo)

I tried this past weekend to find NBA 2k8 to rent and came up empty handed. Therefor, I am going to just do a review on NBA Live 08 with very minor comparisons. Comparing a full game to a demo is unfair as a good load of features aren't included in a demo.

I am not giving a standard "point" scale as I believe they are dumb and do not show you much of whats going on. I'm just going to hit a few key points in the game(or both games) that stuck out that will maybe sway a person interested in the game to buy or not buy.

NBA Live 08 Review

Presentation:
Presentation is the first thing you notice with a game. NBA Live 08 has hands down the BEST job of a presentation for sports game. Sure, when you think of Presentation, you think of the menu's. While the menu's are layed out very nice and look solid, that is not why I like it so much. The reason I like it so much, is because the FIRST thing you see when you turn on the game is a Basketball Player(default Gilbert Arenas, but you can change it easily) and a Basketball Court(of your choice. Whatever court you choose gets saved and does not ask you again unless you go to options to change it). Immediately when you turn on the game, you are PLAYING! No menus. Nothing. You see loads of balls on the ground. Just play around and practice your moves. Want to start a game or actually go to the main menu? Simply hit "start" and the main menu will immediately pop up. Fantastic job at Presentation.

Can not say which game has a better presentation, but I will say it would be tough to beat what Live has.

Graphics
The Graphics of the game are very good overall. As in textures on the actual players, they are absolutely FANTASTIC. Lightyears ahead of NBA 2k8 in terms of actual skins of basketball players AND arena's. They don't even compare. The textures in 2k8 are laughable at best. You can't recognize hardly any of your favorite basketball players, while in Live 08 you can recognize just about all of them just by the face. Basketball teleportation and player "ice skating" also happened more often in 2k8.

When you look at the detail of the crowd and animations, then is when the advantage shifts over to 2k8, I will discuss these in a minute. Other than crowd and animations, the graphics are absolutely superb.

NBA Live 08 wins this one.

Crowd
In Live 08, the crowd has GREAT sound. They react to situations on the court perfectly and keep you motivated throughout the game. Visual wise, they are junk. Extremely low res textures. Animations of the crowd also look horrid.

Live 08 wins for best crowd sounds
NBA 2k8 wins for best crowd look/animations

Player Animations
While these should be included in Graphics section, I chose not to simply because the animations of both game are so different. NBA Live 08 has great player animations. Not as fluid overall as NBA 2k8. By "fluid", I mean NBA 2k8 is able to move from one set of animations to another easier than Live 08 without much jittering. Stuttering between animations is present in both, its just that 2k8 does a better job of smoothing them out.

My favorite part about the animations in Live 08 are the "reaction" animations. How do the players react to situations such as making a shot, being dunked on, called for a foul, etc. All of these NBA Live does GREAT. Very subtle, almost real reactions. NBA 2k8 is the complete opposite. Everyone jumps around like retards. Giving each other high fives for EVERYTHING. Dancing. Everyone acts like outright fools. Its extremely annoying to play seeing Tim Duncan jump around and dance, when you know he would NEVER do that in a game.

Animations goes to 2k8 leaving out my own personal preferences. The "reactions" of 2k8 irritate me to no end. Theres no way I could play a game with these guys acting so foolish. However, I'm giving credit where it is due. 2k8 does a great job with everything else in the animation category.

Sound
In Live 08, the sound is great. The crowd reacts perfectly. The announcers aren't annoying at all. The announcers also have a LOAD Of history in regards to talking about each player. Its pretty amazing at how much they say. As far as sound effects, they are great in Live 08. The only complaint I have with Live 08's sound is their music selection. Its like they found the worst rap artists they could find and threw them on the sound track. Judging from the website for NBA 2k8, they have a better selection of music.

Live 08 wins as far as sound effects and crowd sound.
NBA 2k8 wins as far as music selection.
I cannot compare announcers as the 2k8 demo does not have them. The Live 08 announcers are great, but again i can't judge which is best.

Controls
This is where I believe Live 08 truly shines. Other than one complaint, Live 08 by far outdoes 2k8 control wise. On the PS3 controller, the controls are extremely close to being down right perfect. The game is very easy to just pick up and play. Not much learning involved once you know what the buttons do. Things like free throw shots are MUCH easier on Live 08 and make a lot better sense than 2k8.

My favorite part about the controllers for Live 08 is the "quick strike", or the "fancy dribbling". For the PS3 controller, its the right analog stick and the way they work it , it makes PERFECT since. Lets say you have the ball in your left and and want to put it in your right. Just move the stick to the right. Lets say its already in the right, well you will do a FAKE and then move to the right. Wanna dribble behind your back? Just press the stick down. Wanna keep dribbling behind your back really fast? Just keep tapping down. Wanna dribble behiind your back, fake to the left, and run right? Tap down, then tap right. I know this might all sound complicating, but trust me its EXTREMELY easy and VERY fun to do fancy dribbling moves.

Live 08 has a very good edge as a far as controls go. The ONLY complaint I have with the Live 08 controls is the fact that when you shoot the ball, you don't have to hold and release the ball at the right moment. You just hold the button until you shoot. With 2k8, you have to time your shot, which i think is the superior way. With that said, Live 08 is still much better with all other controls.

Defense
I'm not even going into detail on this. Live 08 defense not very good. The computer lets players drive in far too easily, fouls are called for no reason when they finally do defend, and its very hard as a player to defend someone.

On the flip side. 2k8 isn't the best either. Simply put your best defender on the opposing teams point guard and you will win. 2k8 lets point guards dominate too much. I just stick my center on their point guard and they can't do a thing. Unrealistic.

2k8 has the best defense even though there is that big point guard issue. This is not news though, as 2k8 is more of a simulation and live 08 is more of a "fun factor" type game with a touch of simulation.

Final Words

NBA 2k8 and NBA Live 08 are both great games. Which is better? Its just like if you were to ask someone "what is better? Live For Speed or Test Drive Unlimited?" Thats a faulty question as they are both different games. I personally like Live for Speed better as I like racing simulations. Want better graphics? Go for Test Drive Unlimited.

Want a Basketball Simulation that is fairly accurate? NBA 2k8. Want a game that is just fun that you can pick up and play? NBA Live 08 is for you. For a person like me, Live 08 was the better choice. While I like my racing games to be simulators, basketball I want to have fun with. I'm happy with my choice on buying Live 08. I probably will not buy 2k8 for merely the fact that its just not my style. For an outsider trying to buy the game, you can choose either game and win.

There you have it. My small review on Live 08 full game/2k8 demo. If you disagree, thats your opinion. Instead of whining and blasting about how I'm "wrong", please keep in mind you really can't be wrong with an opinion. Thats why its called an opinion. If you disagree with my thoughts, write your own review on both games. You are certainly free to do so.

Lets try to keep this thread clean. I'll answer anyone's questions about Live 08 you might have. If you just came here to troll, expect to be treated like one. That is all.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 04:12 PM   #2
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Default Re: NBA Live 08 Review (also compare to NBA 2k8 demo)

Great review Tyger! I have both copies, but 2k8 has been getting most of the game time due to the Association. Just my preference, but I will soon go deeper in Live 08 soon. You just saved me time in reviewing Live as well.

I agree on the player models. 2K8 is FUGLY.
Processor: Core 2 Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB - OC @ 3.2 GHz Liquid Cooled
Memory: 4GB Low Latency DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (2 x 160GB) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000 RPM w/ 2 x 16MB Cache
Storage Drive: 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 16MB Cache
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI

XBOX LIVE: Kungfujoe126 - Catch me on NBA 2K9!
PSN: Severian126
Steam: Sever126

Currently Playing: Fallout 3 (PC), NBA 2k9! (360), Dead Space (PS3), Silent Hill Homecomings (360), Fable 2 (360)

Quote:
Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who is in command here.
Severian126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 04:27 PM   #3
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian126
Great review Tyger! I have both copies, but 2k8 has been getting most of the game time due to the Association. Just my preference, but I will soon go deeper in Live 08 soon. You just saved me time in reviewing Live as well.

I agree on the player models. 2K8 is FUGLY.
I just got done reading your review. I never even saw it until just now(don't know how I missed it). Its amazing how many points we both make that are the same.

I have to say, Your review looks very accurate to my thoughts on 2k8 as well. Nice job.

BTW, what is this "Association" you speak of?
Old 10-08-07, 04:43 PM   #4
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
I just got done reading your review. I never even saw it until just now(don't know how I missed it). Its amazing how many points we both make that are the same.

I have to say, Your review looks very accurate to my thoughts on 2k8 as well. Nice job.

BTW, what is this "Association" you speak of?
Thanks. You basically said a lot of things that were my initial impression of Live - I have only tried it for a day so I can't give a review as accurate as yours.

The Association is a game mode in the 2K franchise that lets you pick a team, and manage it throughout the years. There are a number of factors that dictates how you should control your team. Your owner personality for one. You can do 2-3 team trades, etc., the standard flair. You'll also have to assign roles to your players and try to keep them happy (which basically boils down to giving them more minutes if they deserve it). Too many stars and the chemistry won't work if you put the wrong one basically. Just stuff I'm into. Frankly, the Association mode is my biggest reason for playing 2k8 so much. Without it, I'd probably be on Live since the game is fun, the characters look a lot better, and I like the overall presentation more than 2K. I'm just glad EA finally got their **** together this year.
Processor: Core 2 Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB - OC @ 3.2 GHz Liquid Cooled
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (2 x 160GB) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000 RPM w/ 2 x 16MB Cache

Currently Playing: Fallout 3 (PC), NBA 2k9! (360), Dead Space (PS3), Silent Hill Homecomings (360), Fable 2 (360)

Quote:
Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who is in command here.
Old 10-08-07, 09:26 PM   #5
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

I'm trying to figure out how to use my created character in Season mode for Live 08. Any ideas? It seems to be wiping all roster changes upon starting season.
Old 10-09-07, 11:29 AM   #6
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Hmm, I honestly never tried it on Live 08 yet. But I think it's pretty standard the roster resets (which is really annoying when you want to start a team with a downloaded roster update...), since it's the same for the other sports games I've played. The usual way around it is to create your player and don't assign him to any team. When you start the Season, you can opt to recruit him as a free agent I believe. At least that's how I've always done it. I've never done it on Live. I'll try it at home tonight.

Quote:
Old 10-09-07, 12:09 PM   #7
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian126
Hmm, I honestly never tried it on Live 08 yet. But I think it's pretty standard the roster resets (which is really annoying when you want to start a team with a downloaded roster update...), since it's the same for the other sports games I've played. The usual way around it is to create your player and don't assign him to any team. When you start the Season, you can opt to recruit him as a free agent I believe. At least that's how I've always done it. I've never done it on Live. I'll try it at home tonight.
Let me know of the outcome if you could. I dont really want to make any roster changes other than add my guy.
Old 10-11-07, 09:13 PM   #8
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

bumpage because this game is so freaking fun.