Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-07, 02:25 AM   #1
timbba

Default Uninstalling?

How can I uninstall 100.14.19 package that was downloaded from web? I can't get it working, always kernel module errors.. So I want to go back with Ubuntu Feisty's deb package 1.0.9755 which at least works.

This run-package from web has always been pain in the ass in Ubuntu. I have struggled with that several times, but I have managed often by consuming couple of hours to it. Now I can't get it working, so I want my old package, but I think I have to someway uninstall this crappy run-package. But how? This ain't working, if I try to just reinstall the deb-packages without uninstalling 100.14.19. Any hints?

Or is there some hints how to get this run-package working without kernel module errors? But the most important is that how to get back to working 1.0.9755?
Old 10-13-07, 03:50 AM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: Uninstalling?

The problems with the run package are not due to it being crappy, but due to Ubuntu changing lots of long-existing standards in the Linux world. So what works for everyone else does not work for Ubuntu. I would call that Ubuntu's fault.

Apparently you have not read the documentation. It is installed as /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.txt on your system.
Maybe your problems would have been solved had you read that. But at least it also explains how to uninstall the package:

nvidia-installer --uninstall
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 09:29 AM   #3
utanja
Debian All the Way

ditto Linux is not served up on a silver platter....a litlle reading wil help emensely...
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 10:04 AM   #4
evilghost

The reason you're having issues is because the linux-restricted-modules and the nvidia-kernel-common packages provide the binary nvidia driver. As a result, the package installed conflicts with the package in the repos. The answer is to purge these packages then install the .run package.

Things like this happen to be one of the reasons I migrated to Debian.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote