Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-07, 10:40 AM   #1
enigma_0Z

Default How can I do dynamic Twinview + dynamic Xinerama info?

Here's what I want to do.

I want to be able to hotplug a TV or computer monitor into my nvidia-based laptop (HP dv6000z), and have the xinerama info dynamic, so that when I maximize a window, it maximizes to that particular screen's size, rather than the full twinview size.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that when I connect a screen, another Xinerama screen should be added, rather than the current one extended.

To that end, I have something that's almost dynamic... see snippet below:

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "LogoPath" "/etc/X11/nv-splash.png"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, TV"
    Option         "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "False"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP, TV"
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select @1280x800 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Basically, I force the TV and DFP (built in) to be on, this way, whether or not the TV is connected, I get two Xinerama screens right off the bat.

However, this configuration completely turns off the VGA port--it simply won't autodetect in nvidia-settings.

So, I changed "ConnectedMonitors" to "DFP, TV, CRT" and added the CRT to the other relevant sections (XineramaInfoOrder, and MetaModes--I added an auto-select mode for the CRT).

But, when this happens, X boots up and in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it complains that only two "CRTC"'s are available, and trims the "ConnectedMonitors" list to "DFP, CRT" -- thus now eliminating the TV.

So, that really doesn't work either. What am I doing wrong?
enigma_0Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 12:11 PM   #2
mooninite

Default Re: How can I do dynamic Twinview + dynamic Xinerama info?

Forget trying to set settings in xorg.conf and just use nvidia-settings to dynamically turn on and off your screens when you attach them.

It's the easiest way I found when I was hooking up a system to a HDTV for a presentation.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 09:01 AM   #3
enigma_0Z

I tried that. The problem is that when I do that, windows maximize across both screens, not into one. I can do that--it's no problem, but the important thing to me is that each screen is in fact treated separately.

I heard that upgrading to Xorg 7.3 would fix it, as xrandr now supports hotplugging screens...
Old 10-12-07, 09:40 AM   #4
Thunderbird

The nvidia drivers don't support xrandr 1.2 yet. I believe nvidia will actually layer their xrandr 1.2 support on top of dynamic twinview. I think xrandr 1.2 offers the xinerama emulation stuff which dynamic twinview lacks. The main issue was that X extensions (of which Xinerama is one emulated or not) are loaded at X startup. In case of dynamic twinview, this 'fake' Xinerama extension isn't loaded. This is somehow solved for xrandr 1.2.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 11:23 AM   #5
enigma_0Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
The nvidia drivers don't support xrandr 1.2 yet. I believe nvidia will actually layer their xrandr 1.2 support on top of dynamic twinview. I think xrandr 1.2 offers the xinerama emulation stuff which dynamic twinview lacks. The main issue was that X extensions (of which Xinerama is one emulated or not) are loaded at X startup. In case of dynamic twinview, this 'fake' Xinerama extension isn't loaded. This is somehow solved for xrandr 1.2.
So what you are saying is that upgrading Xorg (and thus xrandr) should give me the feature that I want?
Old 10-12-07, 02:20 PM   #6
Thunderbird

Upgrading won't help because you need driver support to take advantage of xrandr 1.2. (So you need both xorg 7.3 and an nvidia driver with xrandr 1.2 support)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 09:22 AM   #7
enigma_0Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Upgrading won't help because you need driver support to take advantage of xrandr 1.2. (So you need both xorg 7.3 and an nvidia driver with xrandr 1.2 support)
Oh, ok. Does anyone know when the driver is coming along?
Old 10-13-07, 11:02 AM   #8
xbobmx

I've had problems with recent X servers where the internal randr 1.2 support always exports its own Xinerama info, overriding the nvidia one, that always just says there is one Xinerama screen as large as screen 0. I think this was fixed in server 1.4.

So either upgrading (if your distribution offers servers that new or you can build your own) *or* downgrading might solve your problem.

EDIT: I was thinking about http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xor...mit;h=9c80eda8, which appears to only affect multiple-screen configs so it wouldn't apply here. Downgrading the X server seems like a more probable solution then.

Last edited by xbobmx; 10-14-07 at 05:03 PM.
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-07, 09:01 PM   #9
enigma_0Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobmx
I've had problems with recent X servers where the internal randr 1.2 support always exports its own Xinerama info, overriding the nvidia one, that always just says there is one Xinerama screen as large as screen 0. I think this was fixed in server 1.4.

So either upgrading (if your distribution offers servers that new or you can build your own) *or* downgrading might solve your problem.

EDIT: I was thinking about http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xor...mit;h=9c80eda8, which appears to only affect multiple-screen configs so it wouldn't apply here. Downgrading the X server seems like a more probably solution then.
To what version? The one with feisty didn't help, and the one with gutsy (7.3) didn't help either....
Old 10-14-07, 05:05 PM   #10
xbobmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma_0Z
To what version? The one with feisty didn't help, and the one with gutsy (7.3) didn't help either....
I'd try 7.2 (the last version without randr 1.2 support). If my theory is correct, it's broken randr 1.2 Xinerama info reporting that's saying you have one screen the size of the twinview screen.
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote