Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-15-07, 08:18 AM   #73
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Default Re: Gabe: I think PS3 is a waste of everybody's time

The thing is the Cell has better uses than how the PS3 uses it. If the Cell had a useful application in a PC, then it would have been a good gamble, but with the current direction of the PC industry, the Cell is backwards development, or like people have said, its code techniques that will be thrown away at the end of the PS3's lifespan.

It has potential for data center type applications, as it many researchers have proven, but who besides people under Sony's payroll have said it was good for gaming?
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 12:36 PM   #74
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Default Re: Gabe: I think PS3 is a waste of everybody's time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
The thing is the Cell has better uses than how the PS3 uses it. If the Cell had a useful application in a PC, then it would have been a good gamble, but with the current direction of the PC industry, the Cell is backwards development, or like people have said, its code techniques that will be thrown away at the end of the PS3's lifespan.

It has potential for data center type applications, as it many researchers have proven, but who besides people under Sony's payroll have said it was good for gaming?
QFT

Cell is not either the first processor with such an architecture. Texas makes a DSP which is remarkably similar, the TMS320C80 which has been around for a few years.

Local memory is the way to go in massive parallel computing scenarios or when it's posible to spread computations across several CPUs with little data dependency between them.

But in a personal computing device made for games ? Is Cell wasted as a general purpose processor ? I'd say yes. Also, games are a difficult beast to treat as a multi-threaded application. I can understand that programmers, if they HAVE to go mutiprocessor would prefer a SMP approach because of the greather flexibility.