Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-07, 11:38 PM   #121
rhink

Default Re: Languages you know

I'm not going to dispute that there are a lot of applications for which Java is nto appropriate. However, I will dispute that Java applications have to be slow. I've spent quite a bit of time at my current job proving otherwise.

A lot of people are concerned with what they've heard about Java and think the performance of the VM and garbage collection is a risk... but what I've found is that actual execution performance of Java is rarely the bottleneck. One reason for Java's perceived slowness is again, Swing... and it's lack of desktop hardware acceleration support. It's more likely to be I/O, poor memory management (again, a lot of Java developers think you can ignore this, which often results in bloated, leaky, nasty code), or poor selection of algorithms... though I suppose any of these can vary based on your app's profile. Garbage collection is much less of an issue than it used to be, too, though there's still room for improvement.

All things considered, I'd prefer C++ for most projects (mostly b/c it gives the programmer more control, and I hate Java's attempts to hide pointers from you), but that doesn't mean Java doesn't have uses.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 12:58 AM   #122
bugmeplz
*BANNED*

@ rhink: .net does not tie you to just the Windows platform - check out the Mono project.

Also, I agree with you about Java *programmers* being the problem, and not the language. For some reason, Java progrogrammers do not seem to be nearly as concerned about performance as C progeammers (I think it is generally because of the types of applications made in Java versus C).

Finally, I personally do not see a problem with Java lacking pointers (at the programmer view), but if you need them, check out C#.
bugmeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 10:13 PM   #123
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmeplz
@ rhink: .net does not tie you to just the Windows platform - check out the Mono project.
There is no way I would trust anything cross-platform to a language Microsoft controls. They have way too much incentive to tie you to their platform, and even if they're tolerating Mono now that doesn't mean they won't sue them into oblivion at some point (or even more likely find some technical method of making things difficult for other platforms).
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 12:57 AM   #124
rhink

Didn't know about mono, looks pretty cool, but I'd have some serious reservations about trusting it for anything very important. It seems like more of a way to give pre-existing .NET apps more platform flexibility than a reason to use .NET to develop for non-MS platforms.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 06:10 PM   #125
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhink
Didn't know about mono, looks pretty cool, but I'd have some serious reservations about trusting it for anything very important. It seems like more of a way to give pre-existing .NET apps more platform flexibility than a reason to use .NET to develop for non-MS platforms.
Well all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono and gtk#.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 06:19 PM   #126
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banko
Well all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono and gtk#.
And green unicorns will fill the sky. No, seriously, where did you get this? I know there are plans/initial work C# API for GNOME- and GTK+-libraries, but "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono"?

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 09:30 AM   #127
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
And green unicorns will fill the sky. No, seriously, where did you get this? I know there are plans/initial work C# API for GNOME- and GTK+-libraries, but "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono"?
Well the new apps are for example right now F-Spot, Beagle and TomBoy are written in c# and use gtk# for the GUI.
MSI P55-GD80
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Old 10-18-07, 12:50 PM   #128
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Well the new apps are for example right now F-Spot, Beagle and TomBoy are written in c# and use gtk# for the GUI.
Yes, there are new GNOME applications that are written in C#, and I believe there will be more. What I don't believe is that "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono and gtk#". If GNOME project decided that "from now on, all new GNOME applications shall be written in C#", I'm sure they would lose a lot of developers.

Personally I don't know C#, so I don't have any real opinnions about it. Generally speaking I like the fact that we have several languages as this allows using correct tool for a given task. C# API for GTK? Sure, sounds great.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]

Old 10-19-07, 08:52 AM   #129
hell_of_doom227

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontem
Have you used VS 2003 in your professional projects and had to migrate them to VS 2005? If so, have you encountered any problems along the way?
Yes, and to tell you the truth i don't like the whole migration process. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it doesn't. It creates additional garbage along the way. I rewrite any app writen in VS 2003 to .NET2.0 platform. Also if you use sql connection to oracle or sql i follow a new tri-tier model presentation-data-business layer.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-07, 02:23 AM   #130
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
Yes, there are new GNOME applications that are written in C#, and I believe there will be more. What I don't believe is that "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono and gtk#". If GNOME project decided that "from now on, all new GNOME applications shall be written in C#", I'm sure they would lose a lot of developers.

Personally I don't know C#, so I don't have any real opinnions about it. Generally speaking I like the fact that we have several languages as this allows using correct tool for a given task. C# API for GTK? Sure, sounds great.
Have you ever used the crap that is GObject?
MSI P55-GD80
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Old 10-20-07, 05:50 AM   #131
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Have you ever used the crap that is GObject?
And being paid for it? For years.