Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-07, 06:00 AM   #1
TVRCerberaUK
TVRCerberaUK

Default Noob need advice!

I would be very grateful for any advice guys. To try and avoid posting I have done a lot of reading but now I have read it I need to confirm that I have understood it correctly before I fry anything!

Basically I am building my first rig from scratch to replace my 3 year old Alienware and make the jump to Vista. I am keeping the case, PSU (its a PC Power and cooling 750watt), my 7900GTX until the 9000 series and my X-Fi. On its way tomorrow are:

Abit IP35 Pro
Q6600 G0
4GB Crucial Ballistix 8500
Zalman CPU cooler

When building at stock speeds am I correct in this (from my background reading):

CPU runs by default at 1066 so FSB at 266, multiplier of 9 so 2.4 GHz. Would the memory then run at 533 with a 1:1 ratio and if so would I then set the ratio to 1:2 to run at stock speed and timings? I did read somewhere that the memory strapping for a 1066 proc is 1:1.25 and 1:1.15 for a 1066 fsb processor is this the same as the ratio?

Now ideally I would like to run at 3Ghz so with this mobo I would just up the FSB to 333 providing CPU is ok and cool enough and a slight voltage increase may be needed. If the memory was at ratio 1:2 I would then drop to 1:1.5 to avoid overclocking it.

Is my thinking here correct? Many thanks for all your help and apologies for the long post and noob questions.
Q6600 G0@3Ghz with Zalman 9500
4Gb Crucial Ballistix 8500
BFG 7900GTX OC 512Mb
Creative X-Fi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD
TVRCerberaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 02:16 PM   #2
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Re: Noob need advice!

Those are hardly noob questions.

Sounds like you've got it all under control man, it took me a while to figure out the memory and FSB speeds with these CPUs, but that looks about right to me.

You should have no problem hitting that speed, and it'll be fast as hell.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 03:28 PM   #3
TVRCerberaUK
TVRCerberaUK

Many thanks I guess I understood what I read after all!

Many thanks also for the welcome. I actually joined back in 2004 when I had two new 6800 Ultras arrive DOA and I asked here if they really were DOA. I returned them and just bought my Alienware instead with one in and I then later stuck the x-Fi and 7900 GTX in.
BFG 7900GTX OC 512Mb
Creative X-Fi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Old 10-05-07, 06:45 PM   #4
XDanger
Whaaat?

Since you bought an Alienware pc Im guessing you actually own a TVR
Old 10-18-07, 04:57 AM   #5
TVRCerberaUK
TVRCerberaUK

Well the build went great and the PC is up and running fine. Initially had a few freezes at stock (mem at 800) and couldn't get the memory to run at 1:2 ratio (1066). This was due to running four sticks I think, so loosened the timings to (5-5-5-18), upped the delay to 43 and boosted the MCH volts by 0.1v and all was fine once I had done all three of those. The delay increase finally got it fully stable at 1066 but not sure what it was running before on auto. Once stable I dropped the ratio while upping the FSB until I reached my goal of 333 (CPU @ 3Ghz) and mem at 1:1.5. Upped the CPU voltage by one notch only and its stable as a rock (it might have been anyway without the increase)

Core Temps (using CoreTemp 0.95) are 55C running small FTTs in Prime after 6 hours, running blend they vary between 51 and 54 depending on FFT size so guess these are ok? Idle temps are low 30s. Now just need to replace the video card when the next gen is out and this should last me a little while.

Xdanger - Yes got a Cerbera Red Rose 400+hp and 1050kg so goes well!
BFG 7900GTX OC 512Mb
Creative X-Fi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Old 10-18-07, 02:25 PM   #6
Libertysyclone
I Lie about MPG

Send a message via MSN to Libertysyclone

Welcome to the forums posting.......

Thanks for asking legitimate questions and searching and reading before hand.

Please give me your car ok ok you dont have to, wanna trade for a summer? My syclone for your TVR?

I am sorry to hear about TVR that sucks......
Old 10-19-07, 05:30 AM   #7
TVRCerberaUK
TVRCerberaUK

Thanks for the welcome! Nice wheels! Just looked it up on wiki and see that is a pretty rare machine! I was in Florida back in April and it was great looking at all the different cars and trucks to what we have over here.

What happened at TVR was a bit of a nightmare as I understand. My car was new in 2002 so I haven't been back to visit the factory in Blackpool for a few years. Saw pictures of it a while back with half finished cars, unused fibreglass bodies just sitting outside etc.. its a real shame. There are rumours now and again of production possibly restarting (not wholly in the UK) but nothing happening so far.
BFG 7900GTX OC 512Mb
Creative X-Fi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Old 10-19-07, 05:50 AM   #8
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVRCerberaUK
Thanks for the welcome! Nice wheels! Just looked it up on wiki and see that is a pretty rare machine! I was in Florida back in April and it was great looking at all the different cars and trucks to what we have over here.

What happened at TVR was a bit of a nightmare as I understand. My car was new in 2002 so I haven't been back to visit the factory in Blackpool for a few years. Saw pictures of it a while back with half finished cars, unused fibreglass bodies just sitting outside etc.. its a real shame. There are rumours now and again of production possibly restarting (not wholly in the UK) but nothing happening so far.
You're rich ... I found a youtube video of some guy in the UK. He must of been into pirating because he had like 10 hard drivers with lebels on them such as movies, games, etc.. Anyway dude built like a 4000 dollar pc.. Was crazy.. sorry to go off topic but that just reminded me.

So I was interested in where you read all this information, so I could do some reading, and in return learn everything you've done to correct the problems you were having. Either you're a near genius or catch on quick. I know a lot about pc's and the basics but man that was clever. Good Luck with the PC..

Old 10-19-07, 09:24 AM   #9
Luieburger

I don't know how helpful this is now that you've got your system built but maybe I can learn something.

Not sure how the Intel chipsets go about overclocking so I don't know what you are talking about with the ratios. Does memory need to be clocked at a certain ratio in relation to the FSB? I usually just "unlock" my memory and put it at whatever speed I want regardless of the FSB.

Depending on your cooler, case, and room temperature, your processor should go down to mid 20s on temps if you are running at stock speeds. What I always do once I get a clock set is tone down the voltages until it starts giving me problems.

Yea your Quad should go up to 3.8 and not get much hotter than 40C under load if it is anything like my Duo of the same model number. I find 3.0 is a good speed to run it at for general use though.
CPU: Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 3.0 Up to 3.8 for heavy jobs
GPU: EVGA 8800GTX
RAM: 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D @ 900mhz 4-4-4-12 Timing (Running without swapfile)

Built: March 2007 with love <3
Cooling: All Air
Luieburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-07, 11:16 AM   #10
Libertysyclone
I Lie about MPG

Send a message via MSN to Libertysyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVRCerberaUK

Thanks for the complements on the truck, and taking the time to find out what it is. I would almost consider a straight trade for yours but I worked way too damn hard for mine.

The TVR situation is stupid, its a british car and it should remain that way. although it will be good if they start making them again. people dont realize how much a car company going under affects the car owners.

PAS was the "real" builder of the syclones, so finding parts is more than a nightmare. I dont wish that upon any car owner, unless its a Yugo.

BTW bump up that FSB to take full advantage of that RAM.
Old 10-22-07, 06:55 AM   #11
TVRCerberaUK
TVRCerberaUK

Thanks for the advice guys. I am quite happy at 3GHz at least until I upgrade the graphics card as I am sure that is where I am limited now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard
You're rich ... I found a youtube video of some guy in the UK. He must of been into pirating because he had like 10 hard drivers with lebels on them such as movies, games, etc.. Anyway dude built like a 4000 dollar pc.. Was crazy.. sorry to go off topic but that just reminded me.

So I was interested in where you read all this information, so I could do some reading, and in return learn everything you've done to correct the problems you were having. Either you're a near genius or catch on quick. I know a lot about pc's and the basics but man that was clever. Good Luck with the PC..
Certainly not rich unfortunately. Getting married next year so all money is going to that and honeymoon. I should have really waited to do the upgrade but just couldn't Here is a report of what I did basically and don't think there is anything clever in it.

I work for a large IT company for the last 9 years doing some development and consulting etc.. but haven't built my own PC from scratch before, just upgrades.

After starting up the PC at stock (FSB=266, mem at 1.5 ratio = 798MHz) I then installed Vista and downloaded CPUz and Prime95. I then started getting freezes and the odd blue screen sometimes while priming sometimes just at desktop. More searching for similar issues on the net suggested memory. So I started with the voltages which I hadn't touched and were all set to auto. From the crucial website memory uses 2.2v and in my bios it had defaulted to 1.8v. Set voltages to manual and memory to 2.2v. All seemed fine and primed ok for a few hours and I thought that must have been it. I then decided to increase the ratio to 1:2 to get the memory running at its stock speed of 1066. Result was an instant freeze after rebooting. Set it back and did some more searching and found some posts regarding memory timings which again I hadn't touched. They were all set to auto detect (set by SPD) so set to the memory defaults of 5-5-5-18 (from CPUz SPD tab although I think the memory is rated at 5-5-5-15) and put the ratio back at 1:2. The system was a bit more stable but still froze a bit. Did more searching regarding problems with 4 sticks and found posts saying to up the MCH voltage by 0.1v. Tried that and it still froze a bit. More searching found a post saying that running four sticks should increase the memory delay to 43 to 45. I set it to 43 and since then it has been perfect. Ran prime all night on blend no problem. Once satisfied the memory was running at stock ok I then did my overclock. I just lowered the ratio in steps (to stop overclocking the memory) as I increased the FSB to up the processor speed. Went to 2.6, then 2.8 and finally 3Ghz (fsb 333) with prime tests at each stage to check temps. When getting to 2.8 I upped the CPU voltage by just one notch and it has been perfectly stable. As you can see not clever at all just lots of trial and errors! If I ever build another Pc I will manually set all the memory settings right at the start. Running the memory at 1.8v when it should be set to 2.2v is a bit stupid!

Luieburger - The memory strapping post I found confused me completely which is why I asked about it in my initial post. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else so I just did what you do and set it to anything I like regardless of FSB speed. In my case I just want to get the PC stable with just the CPU overclocked at the moment so just set the ratio to run the mem as fast as possible towards 1066Mhz.

I will experiment with lowering the delay a bit and find a point where its still stable but so far I am happy with how it is running. Once I get the latest GPU when its out I am pretty sure I will be upping the fsb a bit depending on CPU temps.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I must apologise for not providing any links to the forums I read. I literally just did a search then picked a link but the forums were probably like this site and the abit forums.
BFG 7900GTX OC 512Mb
Creative X-Fi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 32bit