Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-07, 02:07 PM   #1
Anlace

Exclamation Problem with Extremely Low Resolution in Ubuntu 7.1

Greetings,

I am struggling with resolution issues in a new installation of Ubuntu. My details are:

Intel P IV CPU
Intel 865GBF motherboard
1 GB RAM
250 GB Sata HD (partitioned to dual boot Windows XP Home and Ubuntu)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 XT AGP video card
ViewSonic VX2025wm monitor, native resolution of 1680x1050 with a refresh rate of 60
Creative Live! Value sound card

Fresh install of Ubuntu 7.1 Gusty Gibbon command-line installation
Fresh installation of KDE 3.5.8 (NOT Kubuntu)

I have attached nvidia-bug-report.log, Xorg.0.log, and my xorg.conf file. Please note that the xorg.conf file was edited so that I could get a reasonable resolution for making this request for help. The only thing that changed was the driver from "nvidia" to "nv". The same problems were experienced when using apt-get to install nvidia-glx-new.

The problem is I cannot get a resolution greater than 640x480 to display. Everything that I've tried so far has failed. My installation efforts are posted below.

1) Console login
2) sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run
Accepted all defaults, used the Nvidia installer to modify xorg.conf. Installation reports that it's successful.
3) startx
4) X restarts with 640x480 resolution
5) Log into KDE and use kcontrol to attempt to set monitor to generic LCD 1680x1050 resolution. Unable to use Nvidia-Settings because the bottom of window is inaccessible for saving any changes, etc.
6) Check xorg.conf for changes, 1680x1050 resolution is set correctly for monitor
7) Reboot, kdm does not start although apparently xserver does. Goes to a command line login.
8) Edited xorg.conf to change "nvidia" driver to "nv."
9) Restart and all is fine except the nv driver is very limited and I would love to be able to access the video card's capabilities.

My next plan is to attempt to install using sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run --update to get the 100.14.24 driver. I have attempted that already without success, I will post those log files here as well.

Thank you for any and all help I may receive for this problem.

Peace,
Gail
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-xorg-logs.tar.gz (33.3 KB, 89 views)
Anlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 02:11 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Problem with Extremely Low Resolution in Ubuntu 7.1

According to your bug report, you have the 1.0-7185 nvidia kernel module installed (which does not support your GPU) with the 100.14.19 X driver and X failed to start as a result. This is a known Ubuntu bug. Please see the forum sticky posts, and report this bug to Ubuntu.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 03:12 PM   #3
Anlace

Here is more information on this problem from Ubuntu.

Specific to this issue

Bug #136838 in linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22 (Ubuntu)
wrong nvidia kernel module (7185 instead of 100.11.14) loads at boot time (manual install)

Specific to the nvidia-glx-new driver

[nvidia-glx-new] Driver is missing libwfb breaking X on 8000 series cards
The 9755 nvidia driver includes a new file called libnvidia-wfb.so.1.0.9755 and two symbolic links to that file, libnvidia-wfb.so.1 and libwfb.so.1. These files are not included in the linux-restricted-modules package.

Note: After skimming through this bug report it is apparently not limited to 8000 series cards. Many people, including myself, are experiencing the same problems.

More useful information

From Ubuntu Documentation

NvidiaManual
HowTo manually install the downloaded Nvidia drivers (not recommended by Ubuntu)

BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
This guide is for installing the NVIDIA closed source binary drivers on a system running an NVIDIA graphics card.

So, the bottom line is the proprietary nvidia-glx drivers are broken for a fair number of us unfortunates. I sincerely hope that this info is useful to others!

Should I also file a bug report with Nvidia?
Old 11-07-07, 03:16 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

These are Ubuntu driver packaging bugs. Why would you file a bug with NVIDIA for an Ubuntu bug?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 03:32 PM   #5
Anlace

I saw that whilst reading through the bug reports on Ubuntu, please disregard.