Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-19-07, 12:09 AM   #1
bfoz

Send a message via ICQ to bfoz Send a message via AIM to bfoz Send a message via Yahoo to bfoz
Default Bug Report: New driver on 6.2-S with dual 6600

I've been trying to upgrade to the new driver since it was released, but still no joy. I've tried everything short of completely wiping the drive and starting over, which I'd rather not do. I've even tried going back to xorg7.2 and the .11 driver, but now I can't even get that to work. At one point I did 'pkg_delete -a' and then manually cleaned any left overs I could find. Everything was working fine until I tried to upgrade.

Regardless of the xorg/driver versions I get the same behavior: after running startx (or xinit) I get a blank screen for a few seconds and then it drops back to a dead console. At that point I can still ssh in and reboot. Attached is the bug report file, I don't know what other info to provide.

I'm at my wits end here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (36.5 KB, 141 views)
bfoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 09:38 PM   #2
bfoz

Send a message via ICQ to bfoz Send a message via AIM to bfoz Send a message via Yahoo to bfoz
Default Re: Bug Report: New driver on 6.2-S with dual 6600

I broke down and wiped the disk, just in case there was something hanging around causing problems. Still doesn't work.

I installed 6.2-R, xorg 7.3 from ports and then the .19 driver by changing the version in x11/nvidia-driver/Makefile. Same symptoms as before: a blank screen for a few seconds and then a hung console. ssh still works.

I created a fresh xorg.conf using:
nvidia-xconfig -a --no-logo --separate-x-screens --xinerama

Bug report attached.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (61.9 KB, 551 views)
Old 10-21-07, 09:56 PM   #3
bfoz

On a whim I tried doing startx through ssh, just to see what would happen, and I got this...

Code:
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Oct 21 19:43:17 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
(EE) NVIDIA(3): Unable to find available Display Devices for screen 3.
X in realloc(): error: junk pointer, too high to make sense
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
The bit about screen 3 makes sense because nvidia-xconfig seems to have made a bogus Screen. The realloc() part is more interesting.

I tried removing the bogus screen from the config and still got the junk pointer error.
Old 11-03-07, 08:57 PM   #4
bfoz

After trying every permutation of xorg.conf that I could google, I finally found some that work, sort of. It appears the problem is somehow related to Xinerama. I can create configurations for 1, 2 or 3 monitors that work with Xinerama disabled. Enabling Xinerama on an otherwise working config causes the crashes that I've become so accustomed to.

Anybody have any suggestions? Anything? My primary work machine has now been down for a very long time. This is getting ridiculous. Does nvidia actually provide help on this forum, or is it just a place to vent impotent rage? Of course I can't be too upset, I was the one stupid enough to try upgrading...

I've attached a working xorg.conf in case anybody cares. Enabling Xinerama will cause it to crash. I can provide a core if there's some way to submit a 10MB file.

I'm happy to provide any other needed info if somebody will tell me what to provide. And I live right down the street from nvidia, so if any driver engineers want to come over and help, I'll be more than happy to buy a round of drinks (upon success of course).
Old 11-05-07, 01:33 PM   #5
dzsbsd

For what it's worth, I have the same problem with two GeForce 7300 GT cards (driving four flat panels). Downgrading to nvidia-driver-1.0.9746_5 with xorg-server-1.4_2,1 allows Xinerama to work. But, now I start X with this command:

$ startx -- -ignoreABI
dzsbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 11:06 PM   #6
bfoz

So far the ignoreABI trick hasn't worked for me. But, I haven't tried it this week, so who knows.

I'm not sure how to get that version of the driver now that the ports tree has been updated. Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-07-07, 11:43 PM   #7
bfoz

No joy.

I changed DISTVERSION in nvidia-driver/Makefile to 100.14.11 and reinstalled. I can get it to load with ignoreABI w/o xinerama, but enabling xinerama still results in the dreaded dead console.

W/o xinerma enabled the x server doesn't shut down very cleanly. It displays a full-screen barcode for about a minute then goes to a dead console. If I then switch to a different console the original one will start working.