Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-07, 07:22 PM   #1
lightstream

Default Installing 100.14.19 on Ubuntu

Hi there,

I'm getting nowhere really slow in my attempts to get the Nvidia driver working on Ubuntu Gutsy, and really need some help.

I have downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run package, and got the linux headers for my kernel version (2.6.20-16).

When I run the installer, I get a message that it cannot find the headers. If I run it with the kernel source path option, it will attempt to compile but fails with a variety of different error messages.

The one I am getting now is "nvidia.ko failed to build!"

I made sure my system was properly set up (following the advice in the sticky in this forum), and really don't know what to do next.

Can anyone shed any light on this or suggest anything I could try?

Many thanks
lightstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 07:59 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Installing 100.14.19 on Ubuntu

Please see the forum sticky posts.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 01:52 AM   #3
lightstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Please see the forum sticky posts.
Which sticky in particular? As I said in my post, I have checked the sticky and my system is correctly set up. However I had another look just now, and I cannot see anything which refers to my particular problem.

(I also read through the installer guide when I first attempted to build the nvidia driver, which was enlightening but unfortunately no dice, obviously)

I'm not expecting anyone to come and hold my hand, but if someone does know anything about this error, if they could just point me in the right direction I would be very glad of the help.

I've attached my install log in case it helps. Thanks a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (7.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 11-08-07, 10:07 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

In your log, I see:
/bin/sh: scripts/genksyms/genksyms: not found

That is not a driver bug. You're missing scripts/genksyms/genksyms on your system. You'll need to talk to the Ubuntu folks about this.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 01:30 PM   #5
lightstream

Thanks for taking the time netllama, I very much appreciate it.

I think Nvidia is fantastic for putting in the effort to create proper Linux drivers; I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought there was a problem with the drivers themselves, that certainly was not my intention.

I simply thought that someone on here might be able to quickly point me in the right direction, and you did, so thanks again.