Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-07, 08:31 PM   #25
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Default Re: Todays game length - Value for money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
The Witcher is number one.
Seeing this in every thread now.

Making me spend more money this month...
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-07, 08:36 PM   #26
sillyeagle
sillyego

If I'm paying $50 for a game I'd like to see 10-12 hours.

A 5-6 hour game should be $30.

Of course when I play a 10-12 hour game its probaby 15-17 hours for me. I think I spent an hour on the Crysis demo, and only made it to the part where you get the boat. But then again I was examining stuff and making screenshots along the way. Same thing with Biochock, the first time I played that I spent an hour on one of the first sections, and the second time I played through that same section took me 10 minutes.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-07-07, 10:13 PM   #27
wrathofgod

Game lengths these days are fine with me. If the game is good I always play through it 2-3 times anyway so I get my money's worth.

I love my eyecandy, so if a games length is shortened by an hour to get in the graphics, then it's definitely worth it to me.
wrathofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 07:47 AM   #28
saguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
I'm starting to feel the same way.

Most recent games just aren't good enough (to me) to warrant the old "I WISH THIS GAME WAS LONGERR!!!!" posts.

Very very few games do that for me anymore.

Most of the great games I've played over the past couple years were perfect in length for the gameplay they offered.

Too many seem drawn out and get boring though. Bioshock is the biggest culprit this year. There is zero variation in the gameplay from the first level to Point Promethius and it just keeps making me do the same things over and over. I have yet to finish it because its just getting boring. They even took the fun out of blasting enemies because they can take 1200 points of damage before they die, so you basically just have to hold the shoot button, tap the "heal" button and use a few plasmids... rinse, repeat... 80 times per level... then watch a 30 second cut scene, then do the same thing vs an enemy with 500,000 hit points, then move to the next level where you do the same thing again...

The game is just too shallow for how long it is.
I feel a bit guilty and foolish because I too have not finished Bioshock. When I first started playing I was shouting on all the forums that this was the best game in years and now I do not have the will to finish it.
saguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 09:08 AM   #29
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I must agree on games seems shorter today, generally speaking that is.
My theory has been: New games today with the great gfx they have requires so much more developing resources. However tools I guess must be better too but might not go hand in hand. Think about it, for every texture you must have many layers to make the great effects. Models need to be high pretty poly too count too. I think this is true for both consoles and PC. The last long lasting game for me was Oblivion on pc, i spend more then 120 hours in game trying to find and complete all quests (this was before the expansion, by then it was dull).
Latest game is the Witcher, but ive not played it that much as my puter is seriously outdated and I wanna wait till ive upgraded.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 05:05 PM   #30
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Too many seem drawn out and get boring though. Bioshock is the biggest culprit this year. There is zero variation in the gameplay from the first level to Point Promethius and it just keeps making me do the same things over and over. I have yet to finish it because its just getting boring. They even took the fun out of blasting enemies because they can take 1200 points of damage before they die, so you basically just have to hold the shoot button, tap the "heal" button and use a few plasmids... rinse, repeat... 80 times per level... then watch a 30 second cut scene, then do the same thing vs an enemy with 500,000 hit points, then move to the next level where you do the same thing again...

The game is just too shallow for how long it is.
Agreed

I didn't like the game at first, then found myself unable to stop I was enjoying it so much. But then it just... never ended. After I killed Ryan and suddenly an entire new plot line opened up. I think it's the first time I've ever been pissed off that a game I enjoyed had a plot twist. I never did finish it...

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 05:43 PM   #31
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0
stalker was a bit long but there was no moment that i got bored.

i became so immersed in the storyline and the environment.

what a fps/rpg experience.
STALKER was really a great game... I'm still getting through the Witcher, but both of these games coming out of Europe/Russia are the tops for me so far this year. Both very original, with original gameplay, great graphics, and good stories.
Old 11-08-07, 05:43 PM   #32
FearMeAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy
no DeusEx was the best story/game time
AMEN!! playing again on gametap and I still love it!
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote