Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-09-07, 02:19 PM   #49
Jonelo

Default Re: Oblivion Platinum Pack VS The Witcher

http://www.polskieradio.pl/zagranica...aspx?iid=65509

Quote:
The Witcher, the most awaited Polish computer role playing game, has premiered around the world in 100,000 copies in Poland and a million abroad, in 8 language versions.

Krysia Kolosowska reports

According to first reviews, it is set to become a great hit.

The Witcher combines spectacular action and an intriguing storyline. You are a Witcher, a warrior who has been trained to fight since childhood, subjected to mutations and trials that have transformed you. You earn a living killing monsters, and are a member of a brotherhood founded long ago to protect people from werewolves, the undead, and a host of other beasts. That’s how the long awaited game from the Warsaw –based CD Projekt Red Studio, is advertised. Set in a fantasy world in some unspecified distant past, created by best-selling Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, the game is an impressive, high-tech undertaking. Michal Madej is its chief designer.

“It is the biggest project in Poland and, I believe, one of the biggest in Europe. It took four years to finish. Seventy people worked on it in our games studio and about there were about 100 people working outside. The budget of the game was seven million US dollars, the biggest production in eastern Europe, I believe.”

For Polish readers, Andrzej Sapkowski and his The Witcher epic, are household names. The game hardly needs promotion either here or in Russia, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, where Sapkowski is widely read. But in the West he has been little known. As part of the promotion campaign, a collection of Sapkowski’s short stories about the witcher was translated into English. Signals on sales reaching the CD Projekt studio show the game is doing extremely well.

“For example is the second best-selling game in Germany. It is only a PC and it is able to compete with games selling on different platforms, like consoles and play stations. We are in the first ten or even five best selling games in Great Britain and in all countries in Europe and America. In Poland, our success it is unbelievable, because in the first three days we sold more copies than some titles sell in ten years.”

The CD Projekt Red Studio team created a complex world in which the white haired witcher, Geralt of Rivia, lives. But to enter it, the player must be over 18 – the game is not a nice fantasy for kids, says Madej.

“Basically this world is not a fairy tale, it is not about the struggle between the forces of dark and light. It is actually about real people with real problems. That’s why it’s much more mature. In the game we have violence, some erotic elements, drug abuse, the kind of problems which are contemporary plagues.”

Music plays a crucial role in The Witcher. The credit for this goes to Adam Skorupa.

“ It is a broad review of various kinds of music, from folk music, which you can hear now in the background – Duan, Bell Time – through rock and punk rock. You can hear Me, Myself and I – in a number sang a capella – sounds great.”

The leading role, however, is played by the band Vader. Its clip is promoting the game
The opinion of the gamers versus the mass -media underratings. It is almost impossible in the forums of habitual players of RPG to find negative opinions of this game, in any part of the world. My I surprise the great acceptance that has had even in the Anglo-Saxon world, where Gerald of Rivia's books are completely unknown
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 02:20 PM   #50
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Re: Oblivion Platinum Pack VS The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
"proffessional" reviewers review the games for money. So don't you think if Bungie or MS contacts him when they provide the game and say hey we would give you $2,000 just make halo3 sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Its money, they probably agree.

Remember magazines and gaming sites don't buy the games. Publisher sends them a copy, its not hard to contact them at that time.
Highly unethical, illegal and risky, and if they do accept bribes and are found out, they can kiss their career and possibly their magazine/web site goodbye as it would lose all credibility... not to mention the letigation...

There would be many ways to catch someone at this too...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote