Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-07, 03:32 PM   #13
gfxdrone

Default Re: NVidia binary driver wrongly has been displaying 50Hz since 9xxx drivers

Quote:
Users do not want, and should not be asked, to become xorg.conf and nVidia News Forum experts. Many things have been discussed before - but even I get confused by all the nVidia developments and options. And I am a developer. So in short you expect too much of users.
As a developer, you should be aware that there are highly functional, user friendly installer scripts that support Debian. The problems you are talking about have been dealt with, and are basically solved. Our users do not have to learn the ins and outs of xorg.conf or nvidia driver install unless they really want to. In fact, they do not even need to learn how to run the graphics installer script at all, unless, again, they really want to.

So users who want to do it manually can, and users who don't just run the scripts, which take care of all it for them.

I have as of yet heard exactly zero complaints from users about switching to dynamictwinview default of on. As soon as I hear one I'll let you know, but that one is going to be far less than 1% of the total, less than 0.01% of total in fact. Actually, I can't remember any complaints about nvidia driver install at all. So I'd say, good job to the nvidia team, they keep up with latest kernels, apply fixes in a timely manner, and their stuff seems to basically work. And they make my life a lot easier than those bumbling boobs over at ATI, that's for certain. Sure it would be nice if nvidia driver was open sourced, but that's another question for other contexts.

The only complaint I've heard was the one that made us change the default to dynamictwinview on recently, previously it had just been an option.

Since we have many average users, I would imagine that if the issue raised here were actually important and annoying, I'd be hearing about this all the time. Sure we do now and then hear the question: why does my monitor report 50 hz when it's actually y hz, but the answer does not cause them distress or problems, nor apparently does it damage their emotional well being.

Sadly, one thing that seems to not be working nearly as reliably, is the debian set of nvidia driver debs, those are unfortunately not nearly as problem free, up to date, or reliable, as running the nvidia stuff directly, via scripting to handle all the cleanup, tweaks and configs you so correctly note that most users have no interest in having to learn.
gfxdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 08:00 PM   #14
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Default Re: NVidia binary driver wrongly has been displaying 50Hz since 9xxx drivers

I would agree that overloading the refresh rate numbers behind every other program's back is a not a brilliant concept. What ever happened to stable, reliable APIs?

That's great that ... one ... distribution has worked around the cleverness.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 08:45 PM   #15
gfxdrone

I used to worry about the refresh rate thing, until I realized it was merely cosmetic.

I'm not really clear on what the other parts of your comment refer to so I won't go further.

Any distribution that wants to can create a working nvidia installer, it's fairly trivial, just find someone willing to do the dirty work and that's it, one person maintains it, the users use it. Like anything else done with programming, no need to keep typing the same stuff over and over, just put it into a script then run the script, hardly rocket science.
gfxdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 07:15 PM   #16
gaspard.leon

Cool Re: NVidia binary driver wrongly has been displaying 50Hz since 9xxx drivers

so the issue here is:

1. a default for an option reports ids instead of hz values for refresh rate, this fixes multiple monitors using metamodes etc.
2. semi-advanced single monitor users (not the "What is a refresh rate?" crowd) go to their distro's (ubuntu for example) display configuration program, and see 50hz or 51hz instead of 75 / 60...
3. those same users press the button on their OSD and see the problem is only cosmetic... however they dutifully submit a bug report to their distro.
4. the distro maintainers suggest to submit a bug report to NVidia
5. upon searching for an existing bug report, they find a discussion as such and are confused if it's a bug or a feature...
6. everyone argues, and nothing is changed
7. repeat from 2 for every new user that has not read this or other forums.

Who should I go to with this? Ubuntu Launchpad? or should I open a bug report here?

Cheers,

Gaspard
gaspard.leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 12:08 AM   #17
mooninite

Your bug report should be for the addition of XRandR 1.2 support.

This should, to my understanding, make DynamicTwinView an unnecessary feature.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote