Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-07, 10:31 PM   #1
levander

Default Can run SVIDEO TVOutFormat, can't run COMPONENT

I'm summarizing where I'm at from a previous thread in a new one. The last one got messy.

Basically, I've got a Leadtek Winfast A6200 card that's supposed to support 1080i. But in Xorg.0.log, these are the resolutions it reports my video card supports:

Code:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 6200 at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): TV encoder: NVIDIA
(II) NVIDIA(0): TV modes supported by this encoder:
(II) NVIDIA(0):   1024x768; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI,
(II) NVIDIA(0):     PAL-N, PAL-NC
(II) NVIDIA(0):   800x600; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):     PAL-NC
(II) NVIDIA(0):   720x576; Standards: PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N, PAL-NC
(II) NVIDIA(0):   720x480; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M
(II) NVIDIA(0):   640x480; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   640x400; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   400x300; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   320x240; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0):   320x200; Standards: NTSC-M, NTSC-J, PAL-M, PAL-BDGHI, PAL-N,
(II) NVIDIA(0): Frequency information for NVIDIA TV Encoder (TV-0):
(II) NVIDIA(0):   HorizSync   : 28.000-33.000 kHz
(II) NVIDIA(0):   VertRefresh : 43.000-72.000 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0):     (HorizSync from Conservative Defaults)
(II) NVIDIA(0):     (VertRefresh from Conservative Defaults)
The highest desktop resolution the nvidia driver is reporting (in Xorg.0.log) that my card supports is 1024x768. Since my card says it supports 1080i on the box, it's like some resolutions aren't "visible" to the nvidia driver.

My graphics card manual says that all the NTSC resolutions (which are all the ones in the last above) are supported by S-Video out. The higher ones, including 1080i are supported by the component out.

So, I've been trying to put the nvidia driver in "component mode" to access these higher resolutions on my graphics card by modifying xorg.conf.

When my television is hooked up to my graphics card via an S-Video card, I can put a "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO" line in xorg.conf, I get a fine (but blurry) picture on my television.

Then, I switch it so that my television is hooked up to my graphics card via component cables. I leave the "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO" line in xorg.conf, and I get a pretty good image on my television, but it's in black and white.

So, I change the "TVOutFormat" line to "COMPONENT" and restart X. Now, I don't get any picture at all.

It's like the nvidia driver is having trouble accessing the "component mode" on my graphics card.

Maybe there's a way to get component video working? Is this just a bug in the nvidia driver?

2 nvidia-bug-report.log's are included. One for when I have "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO" and the other for when I have "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT". The xorg.conf's that started the environment's were modified from a xorg.conf.failsafe, so both xorg.confs are very simple.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-tvoutformat-component.log.gz (21.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-tvoutformat-svideo.log.gz (21.2 KB, 134 views)
levander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 06:57 AM   #2
frizzgrig

Default Re: Can run SVIDEO TVOutFormat, can't run COMPONENT

Have you tried with only ONE output cable connected? The load on the S-Video may be confusing the driver's detection logic. I've had this type of issue when my S-Video and component cables were both connected at the same time.

You might try the "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" setting in xorg.conf or the option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"

Also make sure you use the same capitalization for the options and the values as Nvidia lists in the README.
frizzgrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 01:22 PM   #3
levander

Yeah, that nvidia-tvoutformat-component.log example, I've definitely tested it with only a component cable, several times.

And yeah, I've played around with the ConnectedMonitor and UseDisplayDevice options. The television is being recognized as a monitor, and the correct output (well, at least the TV out port) is being used to output the graphics which is what my understanding is that those two options do.
Old 11-19-07, 02:20 PM   #4
frizzgrig

If you leave the "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO" in your xorg.conf, component will never work. For component output "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT" must be set. If you leave it as "SVIDEO" you will get black & white output on the component cables.

If I don't have a modeline, I get a default 800x600 on the component output. I suspect this is because with the COMPONENT cables, there is no communications between the video card and display device.

In summary:
Try with only ONE output device connected (COMPONENT cables only)
set "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
set "TVStandard" "HD480p"
set "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"

Be sure you have a good modeline for the resolution you are trying to use. It needs to match your "TVStandard" setting. I can post mine later tonight when I get home if you like.
Old 11-19-07, 02:31 PM   #5
levander

Yeah, if I have TVOutFormat SVIDEO, and I'm connected via component cables, I get a black and white picture. If I have TVOutFormat COMPONENT, I get no picture at all. Not having TVOutFormat in there at all does the same thing as having TVOutFormat SVIDEO in there.

I just tried it again with your three options that you put in there above. I put them in the Screen section. Same thing I had before.

I don't care what resolution I use yet. I just want color component output onto my monitor. I'm fine with letting the nvidia driver auto-select it for now.
Old 11-19-07, 02:59 PM   #6
frizzgrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by levander
I don't care what resolution I use yet. I just want color component output onto my monitor. I'm fine with letting the nvidia driver auto-select it for now.
I have NEVER gotten auto-select to work with just the component cables. I have always had to have a modeline and mode specified. I do get a picture though. Have you tried contacting the card manufacturer or your vendor? Maybe you have a defective card, or the card doesn't support HD even though the paperwork claims it does.
Old 11-19-07, 06:17 PM   #7
levander

I've tried it with a modeline. Was the same thing. That was done pretty much extensively in the last thread I had hear on my problem.

And yeah, it's time to start looking at the video card here. I actually have two of that model. The other one is a Windows box, so I can pull it out and try it in the Linux box.

First though, I'm going to try to poke around in the BIOS of that video card.