Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-07, 09:24 AM   #1
DiscipleDOC

Default Here's one for the Network Admins

I am on the verge of redoing my entire network. I uploaded a generic topography of how I want it to look, but something is not clicking....I'm thinking that I got the firewall misplaced...but I am still puzzled.

Can you guys give me some suggestions?

Last edited by DiscipleDOC; 01-18-11 at 10:49 PM.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 09:33 AM   #2
evilghost

Default Re: Here's one for the Network Admins

It's correct. No need for a DMZ, firewall has to sit behind the router unless the router itself is capable of firewalling.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-07, 10:02 AM   #3
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
It's correct. No need for a DMZ, firewall has to sit behind the router unless the router itself is capable of firewalling.
Well, if I may have to add a DMZ later, because I will use this same scheme for our china location...and they do a lot of FTP uploads.

Speaking of FTP, where would be a good place to insert it?
Old 10-22-07, 10:15 AM   #4
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Speaking of FTP, where would be a good place to insert it?
Right into /dev/null, FTP isn't secure, consider using SSH with scp/sftp, there are Win32 versions that support AD authentication.
Old 10-22-07, 10:28 AM   #5
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
Right into /dev/null, FTP isn't secure, consider using SSH with scp/sftp, there are Win32 versions that support AD authentication.
Yea...I know how insecure FTP is, but they (my company) have customers all over the world using it. Security is not a priority on the FTP box, just as long as I can keep people out of the rest of my network.
Old 10-23-07, 10:54 PM   #6
Absolution
AbsoUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Yea...I know how insecure FTP is, but they (my company) have customers all over the world using it. Security is not a priority on the FTP box, just as long as I can keep people out of the rest of my network.
thats a rather broad statement, it depends on what ftp service your using, if your worried about security, try vsftpd
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 04:24 PM   #7
ricercar
fugue master

Arrow Re: Here's one for the Network Admins

Get a switch, not a hub. A hub is slower than a switch. A switch is more efficient than a hub. A switch lives on an entirely different layer of the OSI stack than a hub.

A hub broadcasts every packet to all connections. This effectively means one device cannot talk until all other devices have stopped shouting. Packet collision errors (requiring retransmission) are common. Imagine a hub as a 4-way intersection with no stop signs. Cheap and low maintenance. Lots of traffic makes for a very bad situation.

A switch routes a packet only to the device that it is intended for. Many conversations can occur at the same time. Packets rarely collide. Imagine the switch as a competent traffic cop in this 4-way intersection. Traffic may have to wait for a turn, but everyone gets a fair turn.
Old 10-24-07, 07:37 PM   #8
evilghost

CSMA/CD in the house!

Old 10-30-07, 12:22 PM   #9
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricercar
Get a switch, not a hub. A hub is slower than a switch. A switch is more efficient than a hub. A switch lives on an entirely different layer of the OSI stack than a hub.

A hub broadcasts every packet to all connections. This effectively means one device cannot talk until all other devices have stopped shouting. Packet collision errors (requiring retransmission) are common. Imagine a hub as a 4-way intersection with no stop signs. Cheap and low maintenance. Lots of traffic makes for a very bad situation.

A switch routes a packet only to the device that it is intended for. Many conversations can occur at the same time. Packets rarely collide. Imagine the switch as a competent traffic cop in this 4-way intersection. Traffic may have to wait for a turn, but everyone gets a fair turn.
Yup...I changed that to a managed switch.
Old 12-04-07, 05:05 PM   #10
esaym
Friendly Guy

Send a message via AIM to esaym

Alot of diagrams here: http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=10709
esaym is offline   Reply With Quote