Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-07, 01:04 PM   #25
Lyme

Default Re: PS3 Assasins Creed Devs Stumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
see this is where what you said is not correct. the 360 is multi core, and people have not complained. The Cell is a non-symmetric multi core making anything they have learned or done for a PC or the 360 worthless. So its the devs not knowing how to program for the CELL, not multi core
There are signifcant differences between the 360 and the PS3, which compound this issues on the PS3. Let me breifly state them:
-The six threads (two per core) on the 360 are almost identical, while on the PS3 you have 1 cpu and 7 spu's.
-The identical-ness of the 360 threads have been tweaked such that specific game tasks have a affinity for specific threads. (functionality is reduced in some cases).
-(the big one) MS provides really great profiling software so you can see the interactions between the different threads (in realtime, or slowed down). So you can see if your game stall is due to contention between threads.
-Problems with cores/threads in contention is exaserbated as you scale the number of threads/cores.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 01:06 PM   #26
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
There are signifcant differences between the 360 and the PS3, which compound this issues on the PS3. Let me breifly state them:
-The six threads (two per core) on the 360 are almost identical, while on the PS3 you have 1 cpu and 7 spu's.
-The identical-ness of the 360 threads have been tweaked such that specific game tasks have a affinity for specific threads. (functionality is reduced in some cases).
-(the big one) MS provides really great profiling software so you can see the interactions between the different threads (in realtime, or slowed down). So you can see if your game stall is due to contention between threads.
-Problems with cores/threads in contention is exaserbated as you scale the number of threads/cores.
you said what I was getting at in more detail.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 01:28 PM   #27
Lyme

It would be nice if the devs were forthcoming with a little more exacting detail, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote