Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-07, 07:58 PM   #25
Rakeesh

Default Re: Can Crysis be run on EEEPC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12
Don't laugh he's right. If the rest of the world ever realizes that and quickly adopted GNU/ Linux then a lot of devs will be scurring to fill in the niches that are left afterwards.
Everytime I read some anti-microsoft article from the inquirer or some other site that tries to look like it has some integrity, I always see an argument, either in the comments or the article itself, to this effect:

"Most people don't choose windows, it just comes with their computer by default."

If we added a reality check to that statement, it would look like this:

"Most people would not buy that computer if it didn't come with windows by default."

Believe me, people are aware of Apple. The company has been around for 30+ years FFS, and held dominance over the classroms in the 80's and 90's. Anybody with any experience at all in the IT industry, even if only very a very small amount, has at least heard of linux. But still, nobody wants these. They all want windows. For better or for worse, windows is the conscious choice that the rest of the world has made.

Some of you act as though the fact that there are alternatives is just some big secret that the man is trying to hide from the "rest of the world." It's not. If something else truly is so much better than the norm, word of mouth would surely change the status quo.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:40 PM   #26
sharvin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
But yeah, I'd expect at least 60spf with Crysis on that thing.
I see what you did there.
sharvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 08:43 PM   #27
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
mean and evil

That's what you bunch are.

mean and evil

well that pc is a pos
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:03 PM   #28
bacon12

Quote:
Believe me, people are aware of Apple. The company has been around for 30+ years FFS, and held dominance over the classroms in the 80's and 90's. Anybody with any experience at all in the IT industry, even if only very a very small amount, has at least heard of linux. But still, nobody wants these. They all want windows. For better or for worse, windows is the conscious choice that the rest of the world has made.

Some of you act as though the fact that there are alternatives is just some big secret that the man is trying to hide from the "rest of the world." It's not. If something else truly is so much better than the norm, word of mouth would surely change the status quo.
I agree with your statement whole heartedly. However the fact still remains that if the 3rd party support was there as it is with the windows platform then your statement would not be exactly true.

Any os can be mimicked and made to look and act like the other. Hell Redmond and Cupertino mimmick each other more and more with each release. Joe consumer is none the wiser. He just likes the cool new "features". Joe consumer will never do an os install, and is happy in his blissful ignorance.

So that means oem only. If Joe consumer could install 3rd party sw as easily as win (2 clicks) there would really be no difference to him at all.

Two of the hottest items lately are the ASUS EEPC and the Wal-Mart Gos. I like the eepc the Gos could be a much better offering. IMHO (but what do I know the are selling out??)

I am not trying to start a NIX v Win flame war here, just my opinion. I use many different platforms. I am also a lover of FOSS, so I am admittantly a bit biased. Feel free to call me a c0mmie...
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:08 PM   #29
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12
I agree with your statement whole heartedly. However the fact still remains that if the 3rd party support was there as it is with the windows platform then your statement would not be exactly true.
There is a reason there is practically no third party support on Linux compared to Windows. If you ever wrote software for 2 seconds you'd realize that.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:22 PM   #30
evox
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathemetal
well that pc is a pos
Just because it lacks a quad core cpu and 8800 card doesn't make it a Pos. everyone here is dissing it off because this is an enthusiast hardware forum. let us remember that EeePC was developed for third world countries and schools; it was never meant as a full pc replacement, rather it was meant for children to learn the basics of computing. not everyone plays Crysis or TF2. some people just do regular work like Spreadsheets and reading emails/chatting/browsing. for those purposes, EeePC is a pretty nice deal. Infact, check the sales, it's doing surprisingly well and the demand is quite high.
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:54 PM   #31
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Are you confusing this EEEPC with the One laptop per child (OLPC) laptops?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 11:35 PM   #32
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
I think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO-1

Those have similar specs and are significantly cheaper at only $188.

The eeePC is around $350-$400:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=eeepc&x=0&y=0
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-07, 11:41 PM   #33
evox
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
No I meant the EeePC
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 11:47 PM   #34
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

The EEEPC Laptop is just cheap. It's not designed to be sold/given away in 3rd world countries. The OLPC is, but it's also sold in the US. When you buy a OLPC one is also given to a needy child on your behalf. You also get 1 year worth of Wireless access and can claim $200 on tax.

The EEEPC is just a cheap cutdown laptop. There is not benefit to needy children, it's just ASUS trying to make money.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 05:18 PM   #35
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
As far as the PC itself, why would you want a laptop that has an incredibly small screen, very little power, no optical drives and at most 8Gb of storage space?
Well it's for delevoping contries and schools web sufing etc. It's not bad really should be quite responsive too as the 8GB Hard drive is flash SSD. BUt hey, my phone has 8GB flash drive to

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 05:23 PM   #36
Feyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s064809
I just bought my EEEPC. I wonder if I could run Crysis on it. I don't know the system requirement of Crysis so I am wondering, Coz the seller told me if I run Crysis on new PC and the game should run fine.
Noway is that gonna run crysis.
| Mobo: Intel D975XBX2
| GFX: Inno 3D 8800 GTS 640MB
| PhysX: EVGA 8400 GS 256MB
| Memory: 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev2 PC6400
| PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme 600W PSU
| Monitor: Acer G24
| HDD: 320GB Seagate Barracuda
| Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline [Blue]
| Mouse: Steelseries Xai
| Mouse mat: Steelseries 4HD