Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-07, 07:08 PM   #1
AdamK47
 
AdamK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinci, OH
Posts: 984
Default nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

I recently bought a Samsung 32" 720p TV with a native resolution of 1366x768 (1360x768 in Windows). I'm using HDMI with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I can see the options for flat panel scaling in the nVidia control panel. I don't want the panel to scale to widescreen with 1024x768 games. I want it centered, so I select "Do not scale" and hit apply. After I click on Yes it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". Any option I select it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". What's wrong here?

Specs here.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 11:58 PM   #2
ewb
Registered User
 
ewb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 41
Default Re: nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

i have a samsung tv. just hit the p.size button on the remote to switch from 16:9 to 4:3. it stretches EVERY resolution to wide screen unless you specifically choose 4:3 with the p.size button.
ewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 08:52 AM   #3
AdamK47
 
AdamK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinci, OH
Posts: 984
Default Re: nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

Yeah, I've used that feature. It works well. I was just hoping there was a way I could do it automatically through the drivers rather than having to press a button every time. It would also be good for resolutions other than 1024x768.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 11:12 AM   #4
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47
Yeah, I've used that feature. It works well. I was just hoping there was a way I could do it automatically through the drivers rather than having to press a button every time. It would also be good for resolutions other than 1024x768.
Nope.

Unlike computer monitors, most televisions do not have a protocol for the media device to tell the display not to scale. As such, the nVidia drivers are correct in saying that it will use the displays scaling, because it has no control over it.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 12:41 PM   #5
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,868
Default Re: nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47
I recently bought a Samsung 32" 720p TV with a native resolution of 1366x768 (1360x768 in Windows). I'm using HDMI with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I can see the options for flat panel scaling in the nVidia control panel. I don't want the panel to scale to widescreen with 1024x768 games. I want it centered, so I select "Do not scale" and hit apply. After I click on Yes it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". Any option I select it goes back to "Use displays built in scaling". What's wrong here?

Specs here.
Yeah this is annoying. I have gotten this to work sometimes by doing a lot of screwing around, but everytime I upgrade the driver I have to do it all over again and it is extremely frustrating. Nvidia needs to fix this, and on top of it all, add a mode that does even scaling with best fit that doesn't add any blurring.

This would be such a simple thing to do, but WHY DOESN'T NVIDIA DO IT?
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 01:26 PM   #6
ewb
Registered User
 
ewb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 41
Default Re: nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47
Yeah, I've used that feature. It works well. I was just hoping there was a way I could do it automatically through the drivers rather than having to press a button every time. It would also be good for resolutions other than 1024x768.
its nothing to do with the drivers. the videocard is outputting it correctly, its a tv problem
ewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 08:33 PM   #7
AdamK47
 
AdamK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinci, OH
Posts: 984
Default Re: nVidia scaling not working with DVI/HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Yeah this is annoying. I have gotten this to work sometimes by doing a lot of screwing around, but everytime I upgrade the driver I have to do it all over again and it is extremely frustrating. Nvidia needs to fix this, and on top of it all, add a mode that does even scaling with best fit that doesn't add any blurring.

This would be such a simple thing to do, but WHY DOESN'T NVIDIA DO IT?
What did you do?
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia 302.17 OpenGL not working 6200 PCI Archmbc NVIDIA Linux 1 06-18-12 11:23 AM
Problem connecting Pioneer VSX-S300 to Nvidia Ion - flat panel scaling solves it? wild_oscar NVIDIA Linux 3 06-17-12 07:18 AM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 08:35 PM
Nvidia 3123 not working on Mandrake 8.2 UP with Geforce 440 MMX tariqf NVIDIA Linux 1 09-17-02 08:22 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.