Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-14-07, 04:56 PM   #49
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Default Re: Most games are too long <rant>

Well gaming does take up a lot of time, and if you work or have other commitments then you will struggle to get through games.However I don't think many games are too long, they just take you a few weeks instead of days to finish, if the game is too long then you must not find it very enjoyable? I think I prefer shooters to be around 10-15 hours, usually thats pretty good length. RPGs should be longer obviously and RTS games can be a mixture.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 07:51 AM   #50
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses

tough crowd lol
Hmm I'm not entirely sure how to take this...
Old 12-15-07, 10:48 AM   #51
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
Well gaming does take up a lot of time, and if you work or have other commitments then you will struggle to get through games.However I don't think many games are too long, they just take you a few weeks instead of days to finish, if the game is too long then you must not find it very enjoyable? I think I prefer shooters to be around 10-15 hours, usually thats pretty good length. RPGs should be longer obviously and RTS games can be a mixture.
Yeah a lot of it has to do with gaming choices people make. I know I've laid down 40 for a game and then not had time to play it quite often.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 05:12 PM   #52
DoomUK

Send a message via MSN to DoomUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingding
Okay I guess I'm a casual gamer.

I play maybe a few hours every other night and I usually keep two or three games "on the go". Lately new ones keep coming out so fast that I can't keep up. Know how many games I've got installed and "on the go" right now?... Nine!

With that in mind, I'm forced to cut my numbers and it's driving me nuts. So many good moments in gaming I'll never see because there's no time.

Stalker is too damn long. Hellgate is too damn long. THE ORANGE BOX is too ******* long! I even skipped the first game and went straight to Ep1 and I STILL haven't got to the tripod bit after what feels like DAYS of gameplay!

There are precious few exceptions in my eye. Crysis was too short and Gears of War could have done with some more maps. Bioshock was about right and Portal was tuned to perfection.

But the rest of you programmers out there: take note. Shorten your games! Quality not quantity!

Love to all,

T'ingding
I disagree profoundly.

As a rule of thumb, I would rather have a long game than a short game. I like games to have plenty of content, which was for me what made the mentioned STALKER so great.
AMD X2 4400+ Toledo | Asus A8N-SLI SE | 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400 | Leadtek 8800GT ZL 512MB | Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat' | Creative Inspire 6.1 | 200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II | 180GB Hitachi Deskstar PATA | 19" AG Neovo F-419 | OCZ PowerStream 600W | WinXP Home SP3 | WinVista Ultimate x86 SP1
DoomUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 09:01 PM   #53
Hoopla

Games, like movies, are all about pacing. If a game starts to drag on and just throws enemies and pointless levels at you then it gets boring and too long.

There are some games that I was fine with being long (System Shock 2 comes to mind). If the story and atmosphere is great then keep it coming.

Short games can be fine too, like COD4, MOH Airborne and Portal. Three great games that didn't over stay their welcome.

Bottom line, there is no right amount of length that games should be. They should be as long as needed and as long as they capture our attention.
Old 12-16-07, 11:30 PM   #54
Slides

I don't think games are too long. I do know that I don't have enough time to play games. The Gears of War DVD is sitting on top of my computer for the past week and I haven't even had time to install it yet. I still haven't bought STALKER or Armed Assault because I know I don't have the time to play them right now...maybe I never will.

What needs to happen is for weekends to increase to 3 days.
Old 12-17-07, 07:28 AM   #55
Thingding
Cakes > Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla
Games, like movies, are all about pacing. If a game starts to drag on and just throws enemies and pointless levels at you then it gets boring and too long.
Probably the best thing on this thread that I wish I'd said myself!