Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-18-03, 04:27 PM   #1
slurride

Default Slackware 9.0 and Install Script

I have just formatted, installed Slackware 9.0, downloaded the install script, became root, sh NVI*.run, chose accept, then got the message that there was no precompiled kernel interface found for my kernel. I just installed the typical default kernel from the install disc when installing slackware, so I don't see why my kernel would be unsupported. So, I let the installer connect to the ftp site, but not precompiled kernel interface was found. I found this kind of funny considering I am using all defaults from the Slackware 9.0 install. I then clicked ok to let it compile its own...However, I get an error message that it was unable to find the kernel header files for my kernel. So therefor, I cannot install my NVIDIA drivers...I don't know, call me crazy but I would figure that all defaults for the Slackware 9.0 would be supported by this installer. I had no problem installing the driver back before they implemented this installer...Any clues on what I should do from here?
slurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-03, 11:10 PM   #2
Atari_800

Lightbulb

The reason it won't work is that Slackware 9.0 doesn't install the kernel sources by default, and the NVIDIA installer requires them. They're on CD 2 if you have the official distribution. Here's what you need to do...

#1 - login as root (or su root if you're paranoid)
#2 - pop in and mount the second CD
#3 - browse to /slackware/k
#4 - run install-packages

Now go back and run your NVIDIA installer. Tell it to skip getting crap off the web and it'll go along on its merry way and build you up a driver!

-Linus (not Torvalds)
Atari_800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 06:57 PM   #3
socketmonkey

Send a message via AIM to socketmonkey
Default same problem

Initially, i was running slack 8.1 with the nvidia drivers, and it worked fine. When the slack 9 release came out i _upgraded_ my system. i then wanted to upgrade my drivers, so i downloaded the latest .run file and as root executed the sh NV.... but i got the same errors as the original poster.
I have run the ./install-packages command already when i upgraded, so thats not an issue.

:horny:
socketmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 02:50 AM   #4
cjw

Default Well...

It sound like it doesn't matter if you upgraded.

Check if the source of your currently running kernel version is in /usr/src/linux

Either you download the 2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org or install it from the slackware CD. If you run the default Slack9 kernel that is.
cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 01:31 PM   #5
socketmonkey

Send a message via AIM to socketmonkey
Default got it working

I received some help from an aim user, and its working perfectly now. Apparently there was an issue with a symbolic link. It was pointing to an old kernel directory, so it was just a matter of setting the symlink to point to the newly compiled kernel dir. After doing this, i ran the sh NV....run file and it gave me an error again about no kernel headers. However, this time it DID download the files from the nvida ftp upon my request. So i guess thats all there was to it, just a symlink set to an old kernel directory.

thanks guys,
socket M0nkey
socketmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 02:38 PM   #6
fjlbpt

Can you explain or examplify how to put the symlink to other kernel ?
fjlbpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 05:52 PM   #7
fjlbpt

forget my last message

I got it
Old 06-24-03, 05:59 PM   #8
J0nny

Exclamation For any Slackers...

As Slackware has been the oldest and most UNIX-like flavor of Linux, it also tends to be the most confusing to both new users and mass distributors such as NVidia. As I have fought obfuscation with 3Dfx cards in the past, I see NVidia's support as above average by their ability to cover the most flavors possible effectively.

That being said, here might be some tips for Slack:

1. Run NV*.run --expert : This gives details on libraries, docs, compile dependencies, and module placement. Go with the defaults unless you have a NEED to change them. More often than not, this is where mistakes are revealed.

2. Make sure crucial modules (in this case it's /lib /modules /2.4.20 /kernel /drivers /video /nvidia.o) and libraries are loaded on boot. (If its moved to a non standard spot, or if there are no dependencies to force the load, a module will not load.) On fresh installs its moot, but as upgrade turns into upgrade, the convolution libraries can escalate. Pay attention to this.

3. Make sure you edit the XF86Config (in this case it's /etc /X11 /XF86Config) to identify the default driverthe screen will use. (In this case you change "vesa" to "nvidia")

Though this may seem obvious to some, there are those ( like fjlbpt ) that remind me everyone starts somewhere.

On that note, fjlbpt, "ln" (that's el-en without quotes) makes links and the man page is specific. An excellent book on command functions is "Linux System Commands" by Patrick Volkerding and Kevin Reichard

Cheers,
J

Last edited by J0nny; 06-24-03 at 06:03 PM.
J0nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-03, 06:12 PM   #9
fjlbpt

*g* I know that ... My problem was only the symlink because I never need to use it before. I have a portuguese tutorial to help people to install nvidia drivers. It was just one comand, no hurrys.

Peace
Old 06-25-03, 12:26 AM   #10
J0nny

Thumbs up Sorry fjlbpt

I've been lurking here and there for a long while. As Atari_800 pointed to the correct answer to the original problem, I noticed there were still some needing assistance on basics. This is not in the arena of NVidia to correct.

As a common mistake, you reminded me of this, as I pointed out. By the time I finished with my lengthy post, you had solved the problem yourself.

I even went so far as to re-edit my post, but kept it complete for a single reason: There are several that lurk for answers and never post. We on the front lines may take this for granted.

There are several that could not understand "HOW" you figured it out. I posted and kept the post to enlighten those that may be ignorant. Itís true I used you as an example, but I was not referring to your skills or abilities. By explaining it, and explaining the procedure I could at least point the curious in the right direction. I also squeezed in a plug for a book written by Mr. Volkerding (in essence the creator for Slack.)

I apologize for any offence taken as none was ever intended.

Cheers,
J
Old 06-25-03, 04:19 PM   #11
SweetFish

Quote:
Originally posted by Atari_800
The reason it won't work is that Slackware 9.0 doesn't install the kernel sources by default, and the NVIDIA installer requires them. They're on CD 2 if you have the official distribution. Here's what you need to do...

#1 - login as root (or su root if you're paranoid)
#2 - pop in and mount the second CD
#3 - browse to /slackware/k
#4 - run install-packages

Now go back and run your NVIDIA installer. Tell it to skip getting crap off the web and it'll go along on its merry way and build you up a driver!

-Linus (not Torvalds)
What do i do that doesnt have the second CD? I downloaded the ISO, and there was just one CD... Is the kernel sources avalible somewhere else to download? And the most importent question of them all, could it be downloaded on my 33.6 modem?!
SweetFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03, 10:49 PM   #12
J0nny

Exclamation Kernel Information:

A reasonably fast server is Pennsylvania State University.

I think the link will hook you up:

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/....0/slackware/k

If not, you'll see an edit comment at the end of the post.

Cheers,
-J

P.S. Ah, I think I should mention: The link works, but it points to the "k" directory in the Slackware distribution. If you install it with the package tool, it doesn't matter where you put it. If you choose to install it with the distribution, or through "setup", then you should put the contents under " slackware/k ". This avoids a plethora of cursing.

With slow modems I recommend an ftp download manager with resume. In Win32, FTPVoyager and GetRight both have trial installs. If your connection is flaky, the program will reconnect and usually not cause the download to repeat from the beginning every time.

Last edited by J0nny; 06-26-03 at 11:02 PM.