Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-03, 01:38 PM   #1
drspin

Exclamation garbled Virtual Console

Hello -
I'm running SuSE 8.1 with the latest nvidia drivers for my GeForce 4 MX 420. All my 3D features and what not work well but when I switch to a virtual console (i.e. press CTRL+ALT+F?), The screen is fuzzy and slightly garbled - it's very useable, it's just annoying... any help would be greatly appreciated. When the system starts up, it's perfectly clear - it's only after I launch X that it becomes problematic...

Cole

PS - if you need ANY config files, you'll have to tell me where to find them because I don't know...
drspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-03, 12:56 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

I may not be able to help exactly, but I know anyone who can will want to take a look at these two files, so grab them and attach them to the forum.

/etc/X11/XF86Config
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

I've had this problem before, and I believe it was switching my AGP driver that corrected it (with RedHat 9 stock kernels)

I would try switching the AGP driver (you're probably using "AGPgart" right now and want to try using NvAGP instead). The details on switching are included in the readme for the nvidia drivers, but the short version is here:

in the file: /etc/X11/XF86Config
add this line in the Device section for your video card, at the same place where you changed the 'Driver' from nv to nvidia:
Option "NvAGP" "1"

If it gets worse in crashing or garble.. then you'll want to take that back out.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote