Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-20-07, 12:47 PM   #1
cybertiger

Exclamation Xorg freeze / GeForce 6200

I'm having the dreaded (WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT messages in Xorg.0.log and getting Xid kernel messages.

I've tried just about every possible combination of noacpi, NvAGP, and various different versions of the nVidia drivers (though not legacy).

I've now got my system somewhat stable, here's what I did:

Install latest stable kernel.
Install beta nVidia drivers.
Turned off the framebuffer console (I was using VESA).

I suspect that the only one of these which made any difference was changing the console.
I've had one Xid message since doing all that, the only problem which seems to have cropped up because of it is that the text console now does not work (the refresh rate has changed since the Xid, and my monitor cannot cope with it)
Is it possible that all the dreaded WAIT / Xid bugs are related to some sort of resource conflict/timing issue between the linux console and the nVidia drivers ?
I'm currently pondering running without a text console to see if it fixes the bug completely.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see this bug vanish permanently, for me nVidia cards have been the only option for a long while when it comes to 3D gaming in linux, none of my experiences with the proprietary ATi drivers have been good, and this is the first bad experience I've had with the nVidia drivers.

-CT
cybertiger is offline   Reply With Quote