Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-23-07, 07:18 AM   #1
joffa

Default x86_64-169.07-pkg2.run results in a screen size for X of 400x200 that I can't change

I have tried searching but I haven't a good idea on how to describe the fault, so if I repeat what others have asked I apologise - just need to be pointed in the right direction.

I run debian sid using gnome with kernel 2.6.22-3-amd64. I have an AGP 8x Nvidia GeForce 6200 A-LE hooked up digitally (?) to a Viewsonic VX2235wm.

Every time I try to install the latest supported nvidia driver, either using gdm start or startx, I get a desktop view that is at a guess about 400x200 - I can't move around the screen to even find icons etc to check what it actually is. I have tried all of the nvidia drivers that aren't in legacy, the latest being x86_64-169.07-pkg2.run

I have tried a view things that others have suggested in these forums that fixed other problems - ie put in modelines, took them out, no modes, stuff about edid & used nvidia-xconfig --mode nvidia-auto-select.

Reading thru the Readme, a lot of it goes over my head so I need help, but I did see to check my DPI using xdpyino - when I tried it I got an error message saying no screens or something - sorry I should have written it down. I did it when I wasn't running any X screen, attempting to work out why the current pkg gave me such a small screen size.

X works however and gives me the desired 1680x1050 resolution when I use a legacy driver - x86-96.43.01-pkg2.run. If I do xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot when using the legacy driver I get
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (474x303 millimeters)
resolution: 90x88 dots per inch

So can someone tell me what I need to do and how it is that a legacy driver works but not the current one?

Here is my nvidia-bug-report;
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (31.3 KB, 73 views)
joffa is offline   Reply With Quote