Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-07, 05:34 PM   #1
gvfarns

Default running nvidia-settings changes native resolution

I have an 8600GT with a 1920x1200 LCD monitor (x86_64 architecture).

When using the nvidia drivers I was unable to get above 1280x792 resolution. Seems like nvidia is not correctly detecting my native resolution. Fair enough. I edited xorg.conf and tried a few options.

Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"

and then adding "1920x1200 +0+0" to my metamodes allows me to start in what looks like 1920x1200 mode but it's all fuzzy. I press the "menu" button on the screen and see that it's actually running in 1280x792 mode.

Then I try opening "nvidia-settings". BAM! Now the monitor is in 1920x1200 mode and everything looks great. I don't have to edit any settings or do anything. Just the action of starting the program fixes my resolution.

Annoyingly, every time I log in, I have to do this or my monitor will always run in the lower resolution mode. Anyone know what's going on here and if I can tweak something so I don't have to run "nvidia-settings" every time?
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.8 KB, 180 views)
gvfarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 06:51 AM   #2
Tub

Default Re: running nvidia-settings changes native resolution

as a workaround, you could try adding

nvidia-settings --load-config-only

to some kind of autostart mechanism (depending on your setup). That should do the same as starting nvidia-settings, but will supress it's GUI.

still, that's only a workaround.
Tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 10:29 AM   #3
gvfarns

The --load-config-only option certainly makes things a lot easier. I haven't incorporated it into any startup files but I have verified that it works. Thanks for an excellent workaround suggestion.

Any other readers have insight about what is going on here and what the most correct solution might be?
Old 12-13-07, 11:22 AM   #4
pe1chl

Nvidia will call this "a quirk of the display".
As you can see in the debug output, the lower resolution is listed first in the list of possible resolutions, before the 1920x1200 entry.
The driver takes the first entry in the list as the "native resolution" of the display.

I think it is debatable whether the first resolution in the list is the native res, even when it is indicated in the EDID that "the first entry is the preferred resolution".
This topic has been discussed many times, but the Nvidia employees never comment on this, they always refer to it as "a display quirk".
Other people have often brought up that it worked OK in older versions of the driver, that it works OK in Windows, but it remains a fault of the display not of the driver...
Of course that is of little help when your display exhibits this behaviour.

However, I would think that when you use the "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck" option AND you specify *only* the mode "1920x1200", it should work OK.
It means you cannot cycle through some different modes, but this normally is not useful anyway.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 11:39 AM   #5
gvfarns

That is an excellent observation and suggestion. I will try it out this afternoon when I go home.

So nvidia is detecting the incorrect native resolution because the resolutions are reported by my monitor in the wrong order. Is there no way to force the driver to use the native resolution I specify?

I noticed that nvidia-config can dump an edid.bin file. Suppose I edited that and put the resolutions in the correct order and the loaded that file as my edid instead of reading it in from the monitor. Would that work? Come to think of it, how does one edit the edid file? It's binary, so it seems like it could get complicated easily.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my issue and read my log file. Any further comments or help are, of course, much appreciated.
Old 12-13-07, 12:04 PM   #6
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvfarns
So nvidia is detecting the incorrect native resolution because the resolutions are reported by my monitor in the wrong order. Is there no way to force the driver to use the native resolution I specify?
No. At least not yet. I would hope it will be added to quiet down the endless discussion about this, but so far this hasn't happened.
The only option is to make it skip the detection of a native resolution and then explicitly specify the resolution you want to use.
Quote:
I noticed that nvidia-config can dump an edid.bin file. Suppose I edited that and put the resolutions in the correct order and the loaded that file as my edid instead of reading it in from the monitor. Would that work?
Yes
Quote:
Come to think of it, how does one edit the edid file? It's binary, so it seems like it could get complicated easily.
That is a bit tricky indeed. But with an EDID spec (which is easy to find) it should be possible to swap two entries without too much difficulty.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 01:44 PM   #7
gvfarns

pe1chl and Tub, thanks for sharing your knowledge and ideas with me. You have both been very helpful. I'll hack around with some of this stuff in a few hours and let you know how it works out.
Old 12-14-07, 04:25 AM   #8
gvfarns

Default The end of the story

Well, I tried removing all modes except for 1920x1200 from the metamodes and leaving "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck" on but it still started up in fuzzy mode.

Then I dumped the edid and replaced byte 54-71 with bytes 72-89 and vice versa. I used the "CustomEDID" option and specified my customized EDID file and turned off "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck". BAM! Everything started up perfectly and works just as I wanted it. I'm such a happy man right now.

Thanks so much for your insight and help. There is no way I would have gotten this sweet sweet result if it weren't for the help of this forum. pe1chl, you rule.

Old 12-20-07, 03:00 AM   #9
Racingeg

I used well 8600GT with 19" CRT and 15" LCD.
After purchase 30" LCD 2560x1600, the problem occured.

Set driver "nv" in xorg.conf. nv detect DFP-O and read EDID well.
But "nvidia" driver couldn't detect DFP-O and couldn't read EDID.

So, "nvidia" driver define native resolution 640x480.

Problem is Xwindow displayed left-top corner of monitor, the pixels about 1280x480, cloned Xwindow appears first area's below(3 times + half), finally left half area remain black.

Using some Options, X start with full resolution(just in log), but real size of Xwindow is equal.

I look around this forum for solve this problem.
And modified xorg.conf about 100 times, but couldn't solve this problem yet.

Thinked About , custom native res , put EDID data to driver. Like pe1chl.

I guess, Thats way solve my problem. So delighted found this thread.

reply again, I tried. THANKS...
Racingeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 02:13 PM   #10
Racingeg

Woow I succeed, finally

i had my DFP's EDID data(128-byte) exported by linux-nv driver and windows phoenix edid program. Two EDID data is equal.
Define this file in xorg.conf and startx -- -verbose 6.

No changed and I found below messages in Xorg.0.log on two days ago.

Quote:
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID read for display device DFP-0 is invalid: EDID
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): version 1 size exceeds EDID buffer size, or checksum for
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): EDID failed
... and ...
raw EDID data show 128-byte(customedid_file) + long~long garbage data.
The Solution in my case.
EDID 1.3 version's 127th byte mean extention data blocks quantity.
But any tools read below 128-byte on my system , additionally nv driver works fine with 128-byte EDID file.

Set 127th byte 00h(0x00) and fix 128th-byte(8bit checksum). it is end.

I using full resolution screen now, with nvidia driver.

Thanks for nvnews.net , NVIDIA Linux forum users , google and wikipedia.

PS. I think nv-driver ignore EDID extension blocks or read extention blocks another way.
EDID raw data's 128th(last one) byte is used for standard(except extention blocks) EDID data's 8bit checksum goes to 00h

Racingeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 05:14 PM   #11
rb26dett

Send a message via AIM to rb26dett Send a message via MSN to rb26dett

your issue is one of my issues too.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104964

use nvidia-auto-select@resxres +0+0 or whatever in your metamodes line.

that should work.

you can see nvidia settings write it out like that if you hit save.

i'd love to know why it happens though, the driver thinks its all hunky dory, but the monitor definitely doesnt like it. i had two different resolutions on my monitors OSD. check yours to see why its fuzzy, i bet it think (is?) receiving a lower res signal.

fred.
Old 12-24-07, 05:18 PM   #12
rb26dett

Send a message via AIM to rb26dett Send a message via MSN to rb26dett

i should add that if i try to tell it to use a particular resolution it screws up, whereas if i let nvidia do the guess work it works. the edid stuff is getting read correctly.

my guess is that when you specify "Modes" it uses the strings supplied to choose a mode by name, rather than one with that resolution.

I hope an nvidia staff member responds to one of your or my threads.

fred.