I have a DFP and a CRT attached to a 8800GT using TwinView; however
colors differ a bit when viewed on both displays, and I'd like to minimize that
as far as possible.

Thanks!
mlauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 10:23 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Color-correction for each head?

This is not presently supported for individual heads within a TwinView configuration, but there are tentative plans to add finer grained control via RandR 1.x support and/or NV-CONTROL extensions.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 12:59 PM   #3
hvengel

Default Re: Color-correction for each head?

You can use xinerama and you will then be able to set the individual gamma tables for each display. The only drawback to using xinerama that I have found is that you can not dynamically change you display resolution. This will allow you to get a very close match between both displays assuming that you can find a way to measure the displays and create the new gamma tables based on that measurement data. Since the open source community has done a lot of work in this area over the last two years there is now support for a number of affordable measurement devices to calibrate displays. These include the X-Rite Huey and EyeOne Display 2/Lt meters among others. These devices are supported by both LProf CVS and ArgyllCMS 0.70 beta 7.

I hope that whatever fix for this problem is implemented by Nvidia that it is based on the standard way that this should now be handled in X (IE. XRandR APIs) and not a proprietary API (having both would be acceptable). If this is only supported by NV-CONTROL extensions and is not supported with the XRandR APIs there will be no support for these video cards in any of the available open source monitor calibration software. This is currently the case for this hardware when running in twinview mode. As the project lead for LProf I have users ask me on a regular basis for support with their TwinView setup and I tell them that they need to ask Nvidia for support. This issue comes up on this forum on a regular basis and is a widely known issue with the current Nvidia drivers. Hopefully this will be fixed sometime soon.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote