Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-25-07, 02:05 AM   #1
Atoth

Default Savage 2 Open Beta

http://savage2.s2games.com/

Savage 2 has gone into open free beta till the release date on Jan 16, 2008. If you register a free demo account on the website right now XMAS day EST 12/25 ONLY!! it will be activated to play the beta till release. This is XMAS day EST only, so signup now..
Atoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 02:18 AM   #2
sharvin
*BANNED*

Default Re: Savage 2 Open Beta

for some reason reminds it me of warcraft 3.
sharvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 03:46 PM   #3
stjuart

Wow that was so much fun, it even has machine guns. Its like rune but better and more team oriented.
stjuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 03:55 PM   #4
a12ctic

I registered and tried to figure out where the linux cleint was and I suppose its not released yet even though they said there would be one?
Old 12-25-07, 04:30 PM   #5
Atoth

Linux client released at launch, but the guy that was working on the OpenGL renderer for the last year or so has kinda flaked off. So S2 games will probably be a few weeks late after release for the Linux client while they make their own. All that is really holding it back is the OpenGL renderer and once that's done the rest is pretty much already done or close to it.. Blame Uttar..
Old 12-26-07, 11:48 AM   #6
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoth
Linux client released at launch, but the guy that was working on the OpenGL renderer for the last year or so has kinda flaked off. So S2 games will probably be a few weeks late after release for the Linux client while they make their own. All that is really holding it back is the OpenGL renderer and once that's done the rest is pretty much already done or close to it..
Well, I don't know that it's so much that he flaked off as that they wrote the game without cross-platform in mind so it's not terribly simple to port (at least that's what he said at some point). Edit: I just saw the post in the beta forums, and it appears that Uttar has flaked off again. Sigh. /Edit I'm less concerned with that (at times the pre-beta worked in Wine, so even if it's never finished we're probably not completely screwed) than I am with the fact that I just don't like a lot of the changes they made in Savage 2. The first one had some truly unique gameplay and I would have liked to see what they could do with it having started with that in mind, instead of having the game evolve as much as the first (and losing a lot of players along the way). Unfortunately they scrapped the gameplay from the first (calling Savage 2 an RTS-FPS hybrid is an insult to the RTS genre, the tech trees are so simplistic that the comm is pretty much only good for handing out buffs), so rather than build on what in the end was a pretty solid game they decided to start from scratch and will probably make a lot of the same mistakes they did in the first game (a lot of the team is different so I don't think they'll even have the benefit of experience).

Then again I haven't played much since before they added the beasts, so it's possible I would like it better now. I'll probably give it another shot when the Linux client comes out, but at the moment I'm more looking forward to the XR update for Savage 1.

Quote:
Blame Uttar..
LOL I want in.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 03:05 PM   #7
JigenD

Why is it that I thought Savage 2 came out as a free download in 2004?
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 03:28 PM   #8
Atoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Unfortunately they scrapped the gameplay from the first (calling Savage 2 an RTS-FPS hybrid is an insult to the RTS genre, the tech trees are so simplistic that the comm is pretty much only good for handing out buffs), so rather than build on what in the end was a pretty solid game they decided to start from scratch and will probably make a lot of the same mistakes they did in the first game (a lot of the team is different so I don't think they'll even have the benefit of experience).
While yes the current tech tree consists of just the buildings they are planning to add in a research system after release. They have put aside enough funds for 12months of additional work and content to be added so if you don't like it in it's current state you can always try it again later.. Also a few of the S2 guys that are working on Savage2 I believe had a hand in SEP, SFE, and possiblity XR for Savage 1.. So saying they have no experience is kinda nonsense..

Also if you haven't played since Humans vs Humans then your really really really missing alot of the new features and changes that have happened since then. I wouldn't even really call it the same game and it's been polished up nicely. While yes there still is work to do I have confindence that no matter what I'll be having a blast playing this game...

Savage 1 went officially free alittle over an year ago, but it was quite easy before then to install and play it without buying it... Plus with EX, SEP, SFE, and XR mods/addons there have been some updates in the last year to the game...

Old 12-26-07, 05:54 PM   #9
nemecb

I'm just not confident that they're going to be able to fix the basic gameplay to make me like it. They'd have to ditch the "r-p-s + win button abilities" mechanic and/or give the comms something interesting to do in order to convince me. I feel like Savage 1 is a game with lots of little flaws that has a very good basic mechanic, while Savage 2 will be very polished with boring mechanics.

But, for all my complaining I hope that the game is a runaway success because S2 is doing a lot of things right (their distribution model for one) and I'd like to see them continue. Plus they have some secret project that they're working on that will hopefully be interesting (but if it's World of Savage I'm going to put my fist through my monitor).

JigenD: Savage 1 version 2.00e went free a while ago, as Atoth said. Savage 2 is different, but the names are definitely confusing.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-07, 10:50 PM   #10
JigenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
JigenD: Savage 1 version 2.00e went free a while ago, as Atoth said. Savage 2 is different, but the names are definitely confusing.
OK thank you, I saw it as a download as Savage 2.00e or something, LOL.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote