Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-07, 10:42 PM   #13
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: PCM vs Bitstream over Optical (A3)?

+1 for the Onkyo 605... I got one and love it.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 11:36 PM   #14
Rakeesh

Yeah I got mine almost right after it came out, good receiver. Got a hell of a deal too, paid only $300 for it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 11:55 PM   #15
maximillion

not trying to troll or nothin, but it's sad that audio ever got so compressed.

MP3 and mp4 are the worst tech ever made, IMO.

I miss the days when we got raw uncompressed cd-da audio. **** sounded so much clearer.
maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 09:57 AM   #16
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximillion
not trying to troll or nothin, but it's sad that audio ever got so compressed.

MP3 and mp4 are the worst tech ever made, IMO.

I miss the days when we got raw uncompressed cd-da audio. **** sounded so much clearer.
IMO this is only the case when using a crappy encoder. When MP3 debuted, crappy encoders like Xing were the norm - which gave MP3 a bad reputation.

However, now we can encode MP3 and have quality the same as CD while saving a ton of space. Use the LAME MP3 encoder at 256kbps VBR and you won't be able to tell the difference between the MP3 and the CD. Same thing with WMA/AAC 192kbps VBR. I think MP3 is a fantastic tech just like other lossy techs like WMA, AAC, Dolby Digital/DD+, and DTS. They deliver the same quality (as proved by double blind tests) as uncompressed in a fraction of the space. The only catch is you need a high quality encoder to achieve these results.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 04:08 PM   #17
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
IMO this is only the case when using a crappy encoder. When MP3 debuted, crappy encoders like Xing were the norm - which gave MP3 a bad reputation.

However, now we can encode MP3 and have quality the same as CD while saving a ton of space. Use the LAME MP3 encoder at 256kbps VBR and you won't be able to tell the difference between the MP3 and the CD. Same thing with WMA/AAC 192kbps VBR. I think MP3 is a fantastic tech just like other lossy techs like WMA, AAC, Dolby Digital/DD+, and DTS. They deliver the same quality (as proved by double blind tests) as uncompressed in a fraction of the space. The only catch is you need a high quality encoder to achieve these results.
A high quality decoder helps too. Underbit's MAD is the best I've ever seen. The only windows implementation of underbit's MAD I have ever seen is a plugin for winamp.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 03:02 AM   #18
Gnaddel

http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/

There are Windows based applications using MAD but I didn't try one yet.

http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/madsoundz

Audiatur et altera pars!
Gnaddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 03:10 AM   #19
evilchris

Quote:

On my system, I disagree. On an iPOD, I agree.
Old 12-15-07, 07:53 AM   #20
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
On my system, I disagree. On an iPOD, I agree.
Yup... I converted some files to MP3 and played them on my PS3... sounds like crap compared to when the CD is played on the same exact set up... and that is with a 320kbps bitrate... it just doesn't match up.

But same exact encode on my Zune and it sounds perfect.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-07, 07:57 AM   #21
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
A high quality decoder helps too. Underbit's MAD is the best I've ever seen. The only windows implementation of underbit's MAD I have ever seen is a plugin for winamp.
The AudioEnlightenment decoder that was used in the later Sonique versions before it was discontinued is the best I have ever heard.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 05:51 PM   #22
emacs

Quote:
the Onkyo 605 is a good entry-level receiver ...

yes.

the 605 can accept Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreams as well as linear PCM (up to eight channels) via HDMI 1.3a.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote