Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-01-08, 09:26 PM   #1
MowTin

Default Crysis on a Big Screen?

I've been trying to play Crysis on my Samsung 46" @ 1920x1080. In XP I cannot do anything about the overscan. My desktop won't resize. Works fine in Vista but performance isn't quite as good.

Also, I'm unable to find a comfortable position with mouse and keyboard.

Is anyone really enjoying playing PC games on a large screen or is it more of a novelty?

Edit: Crap, meant to post in the Crysis sub forum.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 09:29 PM   #2
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal
Default Re: Crysis on a Big Screen?

There's a whole subforum dedicated to Crysis fyi
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 09:34 PM   #3
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Well to be fair to the OP this is more about gaming on an HDTV than Crysis itself.

What if you play under Vista in DX9 with tweaked settings?
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 10:44 PM   #4
brady
I'm like everyone else.

I'm enjoying crysis on our 37" Sharp Aquos 720p TV. I've got my new system (Q6600, 8800GTX, 4GB, Vista) hooked up to the TV via VGA and the game is running all "very high" settings at 1360x768 in DX10. The game is jaw dropping. So much so that my wife even likes to watch me play it! That's saying something.

So far I've experienced very few moments were the fps were noticably below 20 and I've even increased a few configs beyond "very high." Needless to say, I'm very pleased with this systems performance.

I love that I can play with all the settings so high and get decent performance. Our couch is about 8'6" from the TV which is just about the perfect viewing distance for that size screen and the picture is spectacular. There's just something about crysis on a big screen and I'm actually happy that my screen is a 720p and not a 1080p screen. There's no way I could play with these settings at a higher native resolution.

I play with a wireless 360 controller. I actually enjoy it better that way. Switching suit modes is very quick and easy with the controller. I like being able to control exactly how fast or slow I move with the L thumb stick. I modified the controls xml file to add "prone" and also to make both "prone" and "crouch" toggle actions instead of having to hold the controller buttons down. If any of you are using a controller I highly recommend making this modification. It can be a bit of a pain trying to stay crouched while doing anything more than just moving around.

Also, even at the highest setting you can't move the view about as quickly with the controller as you can with a mouse. It has little to no effect on gameplay but it does mean that you won't see as much full screen blurring because your view is not moving as quickly. Contrary to the opinion of many others I actually like the blurring. I find that it gives the game a very cinematic look and feel. To recreate the effect while using the controller I just changed the motion blur CVAR such that blurring occurs with movement speeds of the type that you make with a controller. I actually made it more pronounced than you would even see when using a mouse. I actually love the effect! It's really neet to see in action with tons of stuff flying everywhere. It even looks cool during the cutscenes.

In other words, Crysis on a Big Screen? YES!

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 11:04 PM   #5
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin
I've been trying to play Crysis on my Samsung 46" @ 1920x1080. In XP I cannot do anything about the overscan. My desktop won't resize. Works fine in Vista but performance isn't quite as good.

Is anyone really enjoying playing PC games on a large screen or is it more of a novelty?

here is the overscan fix from nvidia.... just run it and reboot and the overscan feature should work... just note that you can only switch between monitor and tv once without rebooting otherwise you will lose the overscan setting and have to reapply the fix
Attached Files
File Type: zip EnableOverscanCompensation.zip (20.5 KB, 198 views)
BFG GTX 280 OC2 1GB @ 729/1512/2538
Dell 2405FPW 24"
3DMark: Vantage - P15397 | 06 - 18734
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 11:35 PM   #6
Jonelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin

I play Crysis - and all games - in this proyector and with this system .

It is a cheap table with wheels of TV up to 21 “, with a board to size put above. No problem for you , lie down perfectly , more comfortable that with pad - the arms rest on the table.
At the moment use a G7 .

Is a 720 p DLP proyector , the Mitsubishi HC-3100 - it admit 1080p , very interesting for games without AA like Stalker or GRAW series - the input in 1080p and reescaling to 720 p, very good quality in this rescaling to a minor resolution -

And other solution for the mouse

http://www.regaldekor.com/product_in...products_id=73

Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 01:36 AM   #7
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator
here is the overscan fix from nvidia.... just run it and reboot and the overscan feature should work... just note that you can only switch between monitor and tv once without rebooting otherwise you will lose the overscan setting and have to reapply the fix

I tried that, it didn't work for me. Did it work for you? I found lots of people who say the fix is not working.

I'm playing in vista dx9 for now but everyone using an hdtv + 8800 can't be using vista dx9. And overscan is a problem in dx10 in vista. But it runs so badly in dx10 at 1080p that I wouldn't bother anyway.

Janelo's setup is ideal but I'm in a bedroom. That collapsable tv diner table might do the trick.

It's funny but just today I noticed the 360 controller in the manual and I may give that a try too. Strangely COD4 doesn't support the 360 controller.

I think I just have to get used to it. I just wanted to know if people were enjoying gaming like this so I can know if it's just an adjustment issue. Visually, it's great but functionally there is some awkwardness.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 08:47 AM   #8
brady
I'm like everyone else.

I can't recommend the 360 controller more. At lease for single player. I have yet to try out multi in crysis.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Old 01-02-08, 12:42 PM   #9
JasonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
I play with a wireless 360 controller. I actually enjoy it better that way. Switching suit modes is very quick and easy with the controller. I like being able to control exactly how fast or slow I move with the L thumb stick. I modified the controls xml file to add "prone" and also to make both "prone" and "crouch" toggle actions instead of having to hold the controller buttons down. If any of you are using a controller I highly recommend making this modification. It can be a bit of a pain trying to stay crouched while doing anything more than just moving around.
I'm interested in what kind of button combinations you modified it to. Can you give an example or maybe just post the xml file? Even with this modification I think a keyboard and mouse are way better for this game (to me you just can't do fast twitch reactions like moving your head side to side quick enough with the joysticks), but it still sounds like fun to try.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 05:07 PM   #10
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC
I'm interested in what kind of button combinations you modified it to. Can you give an example or maybe just post the xml file? Even with this modification I think a keyboard and mouse are way better for this game (to me you just can't do fast twitch reactions like moving your head side to side quick enough with the joysticks), but it still sounds like fun to try.
Your actions are certainly not as fast but I don't think it changes the gameplay much. I'm playing on the extreme difficulty with my controller. As I said before, it does have an effect on how much motion blur you see when moving about. If you like blur, just add more.

When I get a chance to get on my Crysis PC I'll copy the lines I changed in the actionmap.xml for the controller and paste em here. It's as simple as it gets.

Old 01-02-08, 05:56 PM   #11
Feyy

Ive played crysis on my projector, its just pure love to watch, like a movie.
| Mobo: Intel D975XBX2
| GFX: Inno 3D 8800 GTS 640MB
| PhysX: EVGA 8400 GS 256MB
| Memory: 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev2 PC6400
| PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme 600W PSU
| Monitor: Acer G24
| HDD: 320GB Seagate Barracuda
| Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline [Blue]
| Mouse: Steelseries Xai
| Mouse mat: Steelseries 4HD
Old 01-02-08, 07:26 PM   #12
mumstheword

I hate everyone in this thread, especially jonelo.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote