Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-07, 09:57 PM   #1
Surmoka

Default Bug with all recent driver versions: X hangs upon start

Hi,

I've been experiencing a blank screen hangup with my Asrock 775 dual-vsta mainboard (a PCIE/AGP combo) since driver version 1.0-9746. The last working version was 1.0-9629, however it had performance issues with the Xvideo overlay.

The bug is 100% reproducable with version 169.07 too, Xorg never starts and freezes the console with a blank black screen, or at least it looks so on my LCD panel. I managed to time a sync from another virtual console with a sleep, so logs are saved. The computer seemed to be under heavy load while experiencing the blank screen (and only hard reset helps, software reboot doesn't work).

Relevant system information can be found in the attached buglog file. I've started Xorg with a strace -f -ttt Xorg -logverbose 6 command and saved its output and attached it as well - as it can be seen from the timestamped system call entries, the X process returns from the last ioctl() with success, and to me it seems that the machine gets stuck in the kernel code afterwards.

I've also sent this bug report to the supplied mail address.

Sincerely,
s.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (30.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: gz xlog.txt.gz (101.9 KB, 86 views)
Surmoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 12:23 PM   #2
Surmoka

Default Re: Bug with all recent driver versions: X hangs upon start

Just curious if anyone has hints concerning this issue...
Old 01-05-08, 01:09 PM   #3
destny

same problem for me....
destny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 05:33 AM   #4
Wolfgang Klein

I don't know if the error you're encountering is related in any way to my problem (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105657) but you are not the only one who is experiencing troubles with the latest driver version.
Wolfgang Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 07:22 AM   #5
Surmoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Klein
I don't know if the error you're encountering is related in any way to my problem (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105657) but you are not the only one who is experiencing troubles with the latest driver version.
I believe your problem is of different nature. I'm experiencing the problem with ALL "recent" (newer than 1-2 years!) driver versions...
Old 01-06-08, 09:30 AM   #6
Surmoka

Just found this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83609

After extensive googling all around the world, it seems that this problem is kind of specific for Inno3d cards. I didn't know it could be so important but as I happen to have an Inno3d myself, I'm starting to worry.

Many people suggest a VBIOS upgrade but my card has the newest one I could find on the net.

I guess I'll solve the problem with replacing my card - one thing is sure, the new card won't be an Inno3d one, whom I'm greeting warmly from here.