Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-07, 02:50 PM   #1
stelekpl

Unhappy Asus EN8500GT Silent and two problems (Reduced Blanking and Default Screen)

Hi!

I just got my new 8500GT as a "quiet" replacement of my GF6600 and I ran into two problems which did not exist on my previous card.

Problem #1:
With the new card the reduced blanking is not enabled by default. When I start KDE, the frequency is 74.9kHz and I found no way to change it to a different one automatically. However, it is enough to start "nvidia-settings" to immediately switch to the reduced blanking mode. I do not have to change anything in the settings - it is enough to start the tool... What could be the reason for this?

Tried it on the latest official and the latest beta drivers...

Problem #2:
This one is more serious. The card has two outputs: D-Sub and DVI. I have connected the former to my HDTV and the latter to my LCD monitor. The problem is that after boot up (in the bios screen and in the console) the card gives output only to the D-Sub output. This means that I can see nothing on my monitor until KDE loads. This problem is really irritating and I do not even know where to start to solve it... Is it solvable at all? (by the way - my GF6600 is giving output on both monitors at the same time by default...)
stelekpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 11:21 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Asus EN8500GT Silent and two problems (Reduced Blanking and Default Screen)

stelekpl,
For #1, try starting X with "startx -- -logverbose 6" and then check /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It will have a list of every mode validated for your display and their properties. You should be able to find the one you want and specify it by name in the Modes line of your Screen/Display subsection in xorg.conf.

For #2, this is just the way the GeForce 8 series works.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 03:10 AM   #3
pe1chl

Default Re: Asus EN8500GT Silent and two problems (Reduced Blanking and Default Screen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
For #2, this is just the way the GeForce 8 series works.
Bummer! I have just got the same new card for a system I am going to assemble over the holidays and my setup is the same: DVI for a flatpanel, VGA for a TV that is used as second monitor only when desired.

How do you guys arrive at such strange design decisions? Before we had the issue that in a system with DVI and VGA, the VGA was always considered the primary monitor because VGA had priority over DVI. And now this.
Don't you recognize that a user with both DVI and VGA probably is using the DVI for his PRIMARY monitor and has the VGA only for some old monitor or a TV that he uses as a secondary?

I think it is unreasonable. When the chip only provides a single output screen, it should have been the DVI. Even a user with only a VGA monitor can use the supplied converter on the DVI output. But the reverse is not true.
Apparently I am going to have to look at the TV for all textmode output :-(
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 12:48 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't know why the VBIOS team designed things that way, but I'll forward your feedback to them.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 06:53 AM   #5
stelekpl

I was thinking about returning the card for the problem #2. In the end - it went to my daughter's machine (with single monitor). If that is really not an Asus-specific issue, but a general Gefore8 design, I must say that this is really stupid... I have specifically selected this card because it had a direct VGA output (without the need for an adapter) and could give the best quality on my TV. Now I can see that my only good choice was to buy double DVI card and use an adapter (sacrificing picture sharpness)... or not upgrade at all...
Old 12-20-07, 11:37 AM   #6
pe1chl

A DVI-I to VGA adapter does not sacrifice any picture sharpness at all! This is just a plug-adapter that converts between a VGA connector and the analog part of a DVI-I connector, with no electronics in it at all. Just two connectors and some wires.

In fact, I was looking for a silent Geforce8 card with two DVI connectors (I had a noisy 6600GT with two DVI in my previous system) but I could not readily find one, and considering that I use a DVI for my computer monitor and a VGA for my TV, I thought "I can just as well buy a card with one DVI and one VGA" and selected the Asus 8500GT silent magic. Not knowing that there would be that silly BIOS assumption that the primary monitor is on the VGA output.

Let's hope the VBIOS team releases an update that removes this limitation... I would say that when two monitors are connected, one VGA and one DVI(-D), the DVI-D should be the default monitor. Or even better, it should be configurable. Or just keep the old method of having clone-output for textmode.
Old 12-20-07, 04:35 PM   #7
stelekpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
A DVI-I to VGA adapter does not sacrifice any picture sharpness at all! This is just a plug-adapter that converts between a VGA connector and the analog part of a DVI-I connector, with no electronics in it at all. Just two connectors and some wires.
Is it something that you were told (in a shop?) or did you really check it with your card? I can assure that the adapter that was included with my Winfast GF6600 results with a very clearly visible "ghost" on the analog (be it a TV or CRT monitor) screen. It's not really annoying if you don't think about it, but if you look closely it is there. But then again - maybe it's just my adapter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
I would say that when two monitors are connected, one VGA and one DVI(-D), the DVI-D should be the default monitor. Or even better, it should be configurable. Or just keep the old method of having clone-output for textmode.
Clone seems like the best option... It worked well before, so why not simply keep it?
Old 12-21-07, 03:07 AM   #8
pe1chl

I am using such an adapter on my current XFX 6600GT card (which will be replaced by the 8500GT during the upcoming holidays when everything goes OK). There is no problem with the picture quality.
A DVI-I output (as found on such cards) is in fact two outputs in one: the digital output found on the square field of pins, and the analog output which is mostly on the 4 pins alongside the larger earth pin. Analog also uses a couple of pins from the square field, for EDID and sync.
The adapter just takes the analog pins and re-arranges them in the 15-pin D connector layout for an analog screen. When this causes picture problems there must be a problem with the adapter.

Clone output is the best option, but maybe the new chip does not support it. It looks like some options have been stripped out of the new chips, this could be one of them.

Old 01-06-08, 11:04 AM   #9
pe1chl

About the problem #2: interestingly enough, although it was stated that this is the expected behaviour, it does not happen on my system!
So I was a bit quick... it works OK on my system.
(I have connected a DFP via DVI-D on the DVI-I connector, and a TV on the VGA connector, and both work OK in X and the DFP shows the text consoles. just as I like and as I expected. but this is different from what stelekpl is seeing)
I am using the Asus 8500GT Silent Magic on a Asus motherboard.
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8500 GT (G86) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 60.86.39.00.00
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 8500 GT at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-1
(--) NVIDIA(0): DELL 2405FPW (DFP-0)