Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-02, 07:34 PM   #1
replys2me

Default mplayer & xmms problems!

When I use mplayer to play any video format using the standard "xv" driver or use the mpeg layer plugin on xmms after a period of time (varies) i end up with the video stream in the top left hand corner of the screen, with a seriously green tinge. Also on the screen is the last frame or so of the stream which flickers back and forth ........

On restarting X this problem is fixed (but if you're trying to watch a 2-3 hour film and having to restart X every 5-30 min, you give up fairly quickly)

You may also note that the problem does not occour when using other drivers ... gl2 and x11 are 2 which I've tried for a number of hours with no side effects.

I am running Debian with kernel version 2.4.19-pre8-ac5, and compiled the most recent drivers with gcc version 2.95.4.
My mother board is an ASUS A7V motherboard, with a 4x AGP slot ... having read somewhere in the documentation that there were problems with writing to the card at this speed, the bios has set the speed to 2x ...... the error did not disapear however.

This error occoured after an upgrade i did which involved the upgrading of many things including the driver, but after downgrading to an older driver i still get the same problem.

This would all imply that there's a configuration file somewhere that's messed up, but i've played with XF86Config-4 extensively, but with no success.

If anyone could help I'd be very grateful ....

many thanks
Old 08-25-02, 12:45 AM   #2
Deraj

I had a problem similar to this when I used Xv from XawTV. But I only had this problem when I was using th stock "nv" driver from XFree86 4.1.0. As soon as I started using the "nvidia" driver, the problem went away.

Is running mplayer without Xv an option? This might slow things down, but if you use "-vm" on the SDL drvier and have the appropriate video modes, I don't see why it wouldn't work. (Assuming it's possible to disable Xv)
Old 08-25-02, 05:29 PM   #3
replys2me

well ... firstly can i assure you that I'm using the driver "nvidia" rather than "nv" (or at least that's what my XF86Config-4 says!)

Secondly ... using xv is not required by mplayer. As mentioned in my first post, it's the only vo that's produced this effect. Unfortunately, xmms does not have the option of altering the driver ... and this continually causes problems.

x11, gl2 and other mplayer vo's work fine, and although things do slow down, it's not (usually) so much so that i'm unable to watch the media. However, every so often mplayer uses 100% of the 1Gz Athlon cycles, and the media becomes un-watchable.

The SDL driver has some unfortunate drawbacks with it ... the most obvious being that you are unable to use the keyboard or switch screens.

This isn't really a case of "need to fix", but a case of "isn't doing what it should be doing, and although there are work-arounds in some cases, it's VERY annoying"

I've a friend who has the same hardware as I do (with some extras) but only a 900MHz Athlon CPU and his mplayer seems perfectly stable. I can't see why there should be a difference in the stability, and it's left me truely perplexed!
Old 08-25-02, 11:31 PM   #4
Deraj

I'm not an expert or anything (on anything =), so I really can't help. Just thought I'd throw my experiences out there in the off chance that you were having a similar problem... =(
Old 09-06-02, 11:14 AM   #5
replys2me

It's just a thought, but could there be something missing / in my kernel that's causing this problem?

I'm sure there are other config files around that could cause problems, do you know of any?

Thanks
Old 09-06-02, 02:34 PM   #6
utiel

Default mplayer & nvidia

I have been using Nvidia drivers and Mplayer for a long time, and I never found this bug.

I have a standard machine, PII, intel chipset 440B, and TNT2 M64 ( perhaps your error only appears with AMD)

Have you tried to diferent AGP drivers?
In my case, NVidia's AGP is a good solution, perhaps in your case, is better use AGP-gart from kernel.
I recommend you add MTRR (Memory Type Range Registers ) when compile your Kernel, and RTC ( Real Time Clock ), and of course, choose your processor

For compile Mplayer ( I use cvs version with ffmpeg codecs ) I never had a problem with gcc-2.96 ( Redhat version )

Have you tried append "mem=nopentium" in you lilo or grub ?? ( but I think this only was for hanging with AMD )

And, perhaps, another problem, is a incompatibility with xscreensaver. (try to dissable screensaver )

If screensaver start when playing a movie, I don't know the results, but, if I start 2 mplayers, the background movie is a blue screen, and sometimes, two movies are a blue screens.

What version of mplayer are you using??
utiel is offline   Reply With Quote