Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-06, 04:07 AM   #1
Robert_Bjarum

Question Need for Howto for installing nvidia X driver on Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Hi there,

Can anyone provide a HOWTO for installing the nvidia x driver on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux system, similar to the one for Fedora?

Regards,
R.B.
Robert_Bjarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 07:58 AM   #2
MickK

Default Re: Need for Howto for installing nvidia X driver on Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Hi Robert,

I can write you up one for Red Hat Enterprise 4 if you want a step by step guide, but you shouldn't need it as it's very easy to install and it configures X for you. Earlier versions of the Nvidia drivers had a bit of work getting them installed, but since 1.0.8178 the installations have been straightforward.

The basic procedure is...
Boot the system to Run-Level 3 (type 'init 3' in a Terminal window without quotes)

Login as root at the login prompt.

Start the driver installer (something like 'sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run).

Answer the Yes or No questions (you will want the 32bit OpenGL drivers, and do let if configure the X configuration for you).

After the driver has installed type 'init 6' to reboot the system and it should work straight away.

NOTE: If you do a kernel update for RHEL you will have to go through the driver installation again.

This should be enough information to get the driver installed on your system, if you do want more detail then I can write something up and post it, but you shouldn't need it.
MickK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 08:36 AM   #3
Robert_Bjarum

Thumbs up Re: Need for Howto for installing nvidia X driver on Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Hi Mick. Thank you for your answer. I had problems getting the card up and running with the CD's I got from RH. However, after reinstalling RHL with downloaded iso's I was able to enable the card with drivers included.
Robert
Robert_Bjarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 02:11 AM   #4
jpotter0

Default Re: Need for Howto for installing nvidia X driver on Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Thanks, Your post is the first one I found that solved my problem. I couldn't figure out how to get out of X. The init 3 command did the trick. I last used UNIX over 30 years ago. I just installed RHEL 4 and it's been a learning experience. - Jim
jpotter0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 05:38 AM   #5
pe1chl

You should have read appendix H of the README file of the Nvidia driver.
That explains stuff like this to novice Linux users, including the "init 3".
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 08:37 AM   #6
Moony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickK
Hi Robert,

I can write you up one for Red Hat Enterprise 4 if you want a step by step guide, but you shouldn't need it as it's very easy to install and it configures X for you. Earlier versions of the Nvidia drivers had a bit of work getting them installed, but since 1.0.8178 the installations have been straightforward.

The basic procedure is...
Boot the system to Run-Level 3 (type 'init 3' in a Terminal window without quotes)

Login as root at the login prompt.

Start the driver installer (something like 'sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run).

Answer the Yes or No questions (you will want the 32bit OpenGL drivers, and do let if configure the X configuration for you).

After the driver has installed type 'init 6' to reboot the system and it should work straight away.

NOTE: If you do a kernel update for RHEL you will have to go through the driver installation again.

This should be enough information to get the driver installed on your system, if you do want more detail then I can write something up and post it, but you shouldn't need it.
Also, if the kernel gets updated, you can just rerun the Nvidia driver binary with the -K flag (while in init 3) to recompile the kernel module:

sh NVIDIA-driver-binary-####.run -K

I've also found that when you update X.org, you need to rerun the full installation, at least if you are a compiz user, as freezes / crashes happen otherwise. Or you can set up the livna repository to automate this stuff. http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

Moony is offline   Reply With Quote