Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-30-03, 11:33 PM   #1
pa_bryan

Default OpenGL and SDL problem

Hi there, I have a little problem with OpenGL and SDL not playing nice together.

My problem is that programs compiled with SDL won't run if they use OpenGL. OpenGL stuff on it's own works okay (e.g. glxgears), but SDL with OpenGL doesn't. The problem occurs when SDL_SetVideoMode is called. I get the error: X11 driver not configured with OpenGL.

I first noticed this with tuxracer (which used to work), but other apps are the same. I've tried using the 2880, 4191 and 4363 drivers. I'm not positive, but I'm guessing I upgraded my SDL libraries at some point, which is what's causing the problem.

Does anyone know how SDL detects whether OpenGL is enabled? As I said, OpenGL apps that don't use SDL work fine, so I'm wondering if the nvidia drivers implement OpenGL in a way that SDL doesn't understand.

I see others have had similari problems with SDL and OpenGL, but no one has offered a fix yet.

Any ideas anyone?

If not, my next step is to download the SDL sources and see if I can find where things are going wrong...l

Cheers,
Paul.
pa_bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 05:14 AM   #2
pa_bryan

Okay, if anyone's interested, my problems went away when I grabbed the source for SDL. I'm running Debian testing and perhaps there's a problem with the Debian libraries.

In any event, all is well and good again for me, SDL and OpenGL.

Cheers,
Paul.
Old 07-01-03, 09:04 PM   #3
bwkaz

Whoever compiled the Debian libraries may have passed some weird option to the SDL configure script. From the output of SDL-1.2.5's "./configure --help":

Quote:
<many, many options>

--enable-video-opengl include OpenGL context creation [default=yes]

<even more options>
So it appears that maybe the person that compiled SDL did one of the following:

1) Didn't use SDL 1.2.5, or in fact any recent version of SDL. They may have used such an old version that OpenGL isn't supported at all in it (I don't know, but I think this is unlikely).

2) Passed --disable-video-opengl to the configure script for some reason. Perhaps OpenGL doesn't work on all systems, so they do that to avoid broken programs later? Dunno...

Anyway, yeah, compiling it manually was what I would have suggested anyway.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 10:03 PM   #4
pa_bryan

I don't think they did anything too strange. In fact, the changelog indicates that OpenGL support has been compiled in.

Previous versions did work okay. It's only recently that I've had this problem. The changelog for these packages does include info on some patches relating to OpenGL. They were unrelated to this issue, but perhaps they introduced a new bug.

It's version 1.2.5 and has been for a while now. The source I used myself was actually the source package i.e. the same source that the package was compiled with. I can't see any flags - besides disabling OpenGL entirely- that would cause this problem. That's the strange thing here...

In any event, I'm going to check it out on some other systems and contact the package maintainer to try and figure out where the bug actually is.

Cheers,
Paul.