Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-08, 01:13 PM   #1
EskimoMice

Default Fedora 8 GeForce FX 5200 Dual Head. Driver issue freezes/locks up computer.

I'm running Fedora 8 with a GeForce FX 5200. Using driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07.pkg1.run

I have it configured to use a dual head display (one HD TV and one touch screen LCD).

It loads up fine on boot, but after a few mins of idle CPU the entire computer locks up. Mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. Only course of action I have left at this point is to reboot the computer. I finally got the *.log file to generate after much retries before the computer locked up.

Any ideas? Attached is the log file from the driver.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (101.3 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by EskimoMice; 01-09-08 at 01:15 PM. Reason: better title...
EskimoMice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 02:38 PM   #2
EskimoMice

Default Re: Fedora 8 GeForce FX 5200 Dual Head. Driver issue freezes/locks up computer.

any ideas guys? I've been trying all sorts of different configurations with the xorg.conf but can't get it to work. It's strange that it seems to lock up faster and quicker when the CPU is idling with no load... if I keep pulling up terminal windows and closing them I can get the computer to stay working for about 20-30 mins before it locks up.
Old 01-09-08, 07:43 PM   #3
oldsoundguy

Default Re: Fedora 8 GeForce FX 5200 Dual Head. Driver issue freezes/locks up computer.

AN OPINION .. I dumped Fedora 8 in favor of Ubuntu 7.10 and have been a happy camper ever since. MUCH more hardware friendly and really intuitive to use. (so much so that I have it on three networked computers.)
Plus the Ubuntu forums are a lot less snooty and much more user oriented .. not uber geek oriented.

Being able to ROTATE a monitor to portrait position .. impossible in Fedora without writing line after line after line. NVidia card installs and sets up EASILY in Ubuntu with only ONE LINE entry required!
oldsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 09:33 AM   #4
EskimoMice

^ Thanks for the 2 cents, but this is for a project at work and can't really switch over the OS due to software compatibility.

morning bump... >_<"