Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-03, 10:12 PM   #1
ces

Default noob alert: installing 4200, SuSE 8.2

*please dont flame me* i'm scared....I looked for instructions but everyone seemed to already know the extreme basics of linux and I dont yet. (What are some good books for me to get)

Anywho, I just got done installing SuSE 8.2 for the first time on my windows box. I have a 4200 and I was trying to enable the 3d acceleration on it.

My main question is that it asks me to first exit "X" then install the drivers as admin. First, should I follow the directions listed for SuSE 8.2 that someone posted? It seemed that his directions were for a different, older version.

I dont know how to logout of "X" without being brought back to the login GUI. Is it ctrl-alt-f2? ctrl-alt-del/backspace? can I do it from the "X terminal"

Thanks for helping a recently introduced dude to linux.
(And not flaming me)
ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 10:27 PM   #2
ces

Found an answer:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=14035

little bit more searching on my own did the trick

is: init 3, init 5 correct?

Thanks anyways guys. I'll BE BACK!
ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 05:26 AM   #3
leibold

Ctrl-Alt-F1(up to F6) will not stop X. It will only suspend it to show one of the 6 text consoles. F7 will switch back to X.

In order to really turn of X you need to change the run-level with the init commands. The init 3 and init 5 commands are correct for SuSE Linux.

Of course it's best if you try to solve issues on your own, but don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

Try following the instructions from the nvidia driver exactly. Whether or not that works depends on a number of issues. In some cases the nvidia driver will not load because of a kernel mismatch (in particular if you installed via ftp from the Internet or if you used the online update feature after installing from the CD/DVD). This is easily fixed (there are a number of threads with this topic here).
leibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 04:33 PM   #4
Just One

Hi.... I'm a newbie too... and I was wondering what you mean by "kernel mismatch"?

I haven't actually installed SuSE 8.2 yet but I will do when it arrives.

I'm gonna try and put it on my laptop, which has an nVidia GeForce4 440 Go chip in it. My laptop is a widescreen one though, and I'm worried how Linux and nVidia graphics might cope with the widescreen (1280 x 854).

Should I be worried?
Just One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 04:59 PM   #5
leibold

Quote:
Originally posted by Just One Should I be worried?
No I don't think so. I also have a wide-screen LCD panel with non-standard resolution. It can take some extra effort to get configured, but as long as the graphics card supports the resolution it will work.

As far as "kernel mismatch" is concerned this may sound scarier than it actually is. The linux kernel has the ability to load device drivers (and other kernel extensions) as needed and also to unload them again. This way you can replace device drivers without having to reboot the whole system. In order to ensure that a device driver (or other kernel extension) module is suitable for the currently running kernel the version number of the kernel and the version of the module are compared. If they don't match the module cannot be loaded to prevent problems.
The nivdia driver contains pre-build modules for several popular Linux distributions, however if you update the kernel the pre-build modules won't match your kernel and therefore don't load. In most cases the nvidia installer recognizes this correctly and will build a matching module on your system. This depends on you having the necessary development tools and kernel-sources installed. You can however trick the nvidia installer in creating an incompatible module by having kernel-sources installed that don't match the kernel that you are running. There have been several threads with simple fixes for this particular problem and they all work.
leibold is offline   Reply With Quote