Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-08, 07:36 AM   #37
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Default Re: Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (an in depth analysis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Show me where this is true, please.
I generally agree with him with regards to general rushed encodes you find scattered online that are suppose to be "Demo's" of the codec, but for movie use done professionally by the studios, I find it hard to judge tbh.

I've seen all three of HDM codecs in action, and the only one that truly stands out is MPEG2 for being rediculously poor. (Most of the time)
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 07:42 AM   #38
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
I generally agree with him with regards to general rushed encodes you find scattered online that are suppose to be "Demo's" of the codec, but for movie use done professionally by the studios, I find it hard to judge tbh.

I've seen all three of HDM codecs in action, and the only one that truly stands out is MPEG2 for being rediculously poor. (Most of the time)
I agree Mpeg2 sucks when not given enough space... but Crank and even Kung Fu Hustle (to a lesser degree) still look pretty awesome (especially Crank which looks freaking amazing). I am not saying "GIMME MPEG2 4 EVA!", but I don't mind it on some titles so long as I get the same PQ for the most part.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 08:03 AM   #39
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Most online reviewers and really hifi savy people find MPEG4 AVC slightly superior to VC-1. If anybody wants a link or two I can try and dig them up but I consider this more common knowledge.
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 02:47 PM   #40
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
Most online reviewers and really hifi savy people find MPEG4 AVC slightly superior to VC-1. If anybody wants a link or two I can try and dig them up but I consider this more common knowledge.
Just aslong as all future releases have it, then great.

Takes the piss paying 18 for a movie when they won't even use the best codecs available.

On a side note, does anyone know if 30 Days of Night is likely to be region free?
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 09:03 PM   #41
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
MPEG4 AVC and VC-1 are virtually the same thing at the bitrates they use on Blu-Ray and HD DVD. Given the same care, there will be no difference between the two. Some editors, such as the inept Dan Ramer of DVDFILE, have made erroneous conclusions on codecs based on completely different movies and genres; comparing the average video review scores of movies like Liar Liar, Daylight, and The Jerk to Pirates of the Carribean and Meet the Robinsons - then blaming the disparity on the codec instead of the master. Pretty laughable stuff, I would pay them no mind. Then of course enthusiasts on various websites who are anti-MS will preach AVC night and day because of their hatred for Microsoft; again, pay them no mind - we are not comparing companies, we are comparing codecs and encoders.

At very low (i.e. 56k modem) bitrates, though, MPEG4 AVC may have an advantage. But that is irrelevant in this discussion.

Another thing to consider is that the Microsoft professional VC-1 encoder is awesome, but it is the only VC-1 encoder that exists so there isn't much choice. There are various AVC encoders and some of them are worse than others. Only a select few come close to the MS VC-1 encoder.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 10:16 PM   #42
RaidenWoW
ಠ_ಠ

Very well put Ruined!