Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-08, 01:29 PM   #1
JaylumX
Something Else

Default Changing default Spdif output device in PowerDVD

Is there a way to change the default Audio device in PowerDVD. I have connected to the two digital inputs of my Philips receiver my Auzentech X-fi Prelude and my Realteck Onboard soundcard repectively (I am also thinking of connecting them both to one input of my receiver using a toslink splitter i have lying about but i will experiment with that when i get home from work to see if that works).

I have both different sound drivers installed and they work perfectly - I switched Default windows playback device from the Prelude to oboard respectively and sound works flawlessly.

The reason why i have done this is to get the perfect balance between movie watching and games playing. Before attempting this method, if i wanted to play games, I enabled DDL, but if i wanted to watch movie, I had to disable it (this is a hassle for me). This method of using both my soundcards is meant to address this issue and find a balance so that i do not have to switch between DDL enable/disable and i am nearly there. At the moment i have DDL enabled and am able to watch a movie via spdif pass through in media player classic because I have set the default Audio device for Realteck Spdif (it is in the output option in preferences). PowerDVD on the other hand uses the Auzentech as the default audio device (since I have set the Prelude speakermode as Windows Default Audio playback device) and i want to change it to use my onboards Spdif.

Please tell me how i can come across doing this so that i don't have to constantly switch from DDL enabled/disabled.

Cheers

I hope you guys understand what i am requesting.

i5 760 @ 4.0 | P7P55D-E | 8GB DDR3 | 60 & 120GB SSD - 1TB SATA 2 | HD 7950 @ 1200/6300 | HDAV 1.3 | HD598

Xbox 360 120GB | PS3 40GB | Wii 8GB | Sony KDL-32EX723BU
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 02:20 PM   #2
JaylumX
Something Else

Default Re: Changing default Spdif output device in PowerDVD

Okay using the toslink splitter and allowing my Prelude and onboard to share one digital input of my Phillips receiver did not work......bugger, but i am closer to my goal. I have connected the prelude to the receiver via coax and my onboard to receiver via tos link. Using the receivers remote i can thus switch to the different soundcards - Prelude is on Digital 1 which is what i use for gaming and thus DDL mode is always enabled and Onboard on Digital 2 and thus in this mode i can use spdif passthrough without my auzentech ****ing up a fuss like it used to.

Like a said in my previous post when i wanted to switch from gaming to movies (from an audio perspective mind) I had to tick and untick the DDL option in the auzentech tray icon. Bit of a pain in the arse if you ask me especially when you unconsciously load a game, get no sound and remember that you have DDL mode disabled.

NB For those who are unaware, the prelude does not have a "use Digital Out" in speaker mode and thus in order to hear sound in speaker mode while using a reciever, DDL needs to be enabled)

For the time being this setup will do me nicely until either Auzentech add in their next drivers "digital out" in speaker mode (like Creative's X-fi) or includes an option where in DDL mode, it leaves the AC3/DTS streams untouched.

Eitherway what i really want is PowerDVD to use the onboards Spdif output. I have changed the option in media player classic and it works perfectly but, i'd rather have it for Powerdvd as well as I use that for DVD, Bluray and HDDVD - MPC doesn't support Bluray/HDDVD without a considerable amount of hassle (something i'd rather avoid), and its DVD playback leave a lot to be desired (menu navigation is a pain)

i5 760 @ 4.0 | P7P55D-E | 8GB DDR3 | 60 & 120GB SSD - 1TB SATA 2 | HD 7950 @ 1200/6300 | HDAV 1.3 | HD598

Old 01-17-08, 03:25 AM   #3
JaylumX
Something Else

Default Re: Changing default Spdif output device in PowerDVD

I don't believe noboady knows the answer to this.

A registry edit, an .ini alteration even chaning some commands in a .cfg, or third party program.

Someone please help me.