Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-08, 04:44 AM   #25
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman
Default Re: triple raptor RAID-0 or one drive separate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
That's funny because the benchmark that I saw had a high-end RAID card writing at like 100 MB/s.
Wait, I didn't say you can't attain those speeds. You can in fact, but only if you have the write cache enabled, and you use enough disks.

My RAID-5 with the 9550sxu and 5 (old and slow) 300GB Maxtors reaches about 55 MB/s in write, and 192 MB/s in read, with the write cache enabled. Disabling the write cache slows it down to less than 7.5 MB/s, as I said earlier.

I will let you know how speed scales with adding more drives as soon as I install the 3 new 1TB WD Caviar GP I bought. Should gain something, although I'm not sure how much.

Oh, by the way, I got those speeds with Bonnie++, with the RAID volume formatted with xfs, under linux.

Back to your specific problem, RAID 0+1 is not bad, although you loose a little of the write speed gained with the 0 because of the 1 (that is, for every write, the system has to write to both the 0 volumes).
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 12:12 PM   #26
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman
Wait, I didn't say you can't attain those speeds. You can in fact, but only if you have the write cache enabled, and you use enough disks.

My RAID-5 with the 9550sxu and 5 (old and slow) 300GB Maxtors reaches about 55 MB/s in write, and 192 MB/s in read, with the write cache enabled. Disabling the write cache slows it down to less than 7.5 MB/s, as I said earlier.
Ah, I missed the bit about the write cache in your previous post. I kind of skimmed the second bit because I thought you were just discussing the advantages of hardware RAID, which I was already aware of.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:23 PM   #27
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Ah, I missed the bit about the write cache in your previous post. I kind of skimmed the second bit because I thought you were just discussing the advantages of hardware RAID, which I was already aware of.
No problem
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 01:30 PM   #28
Revs

Just gone from one Raptor to two with RAID0 and the increase in every day performance is quite noticeable.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote