Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-02, 02:11 PM   #13
Tactics
Green Lantern

True.. but I want to slowly convert over to XP and leave 98 going for a while since M$ and Creative and whoever else -- will stop making drivers that support our video cards, sound cards and the new VIA drivers are totally geared toward XP. I can't use them for 98. It says for all OS's but many people are getting fooked for using them according to VIA forums. I like AMD and don't want to switch over to intel or non VIA motherboard.
Old 09-06-02, 03:02 PM   #14
Chiles4

Quote:
if you turn the thing while the box is on, you can really kill a drive.
Actually, I do that all the time...I start the shutdown process on one side and before the Windows screen turns black I turn the key to boot the other side. If I wait until the screen goes black it will still boot the same side not the other.

I'm not familiar enough with the POST process to comment but the system acts as if it only needs the key in the right position during the start of the POST process. Once it identifies the drive, you can play hacky-sack with the key if you want.

Have you heard of any problems with doing this, Baron?
Chiles4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 04:45 PM   #15
The Baron

Basically, I've heard that it can corrupt data REALLY fast, and if it also controls the power (I'm not too familiar with these things), it wouldn't surprise me if it could kill a drive while the heads are moving on one...
Old 09-07-02, 11:39 AM   #16
Chiles4

The Nicklock is probably the simplest model on the market today. It doesn't control power - both drives are powered up at boot. It simply has a keylock with two sets of wires ending in a jumper. It's so simple it almost looks laughable. One jumper goes on each drive's Master jumper pins. When you turn the key it simply gives continuity to that drive's jumper pins so that that bios detects that drive and not the other. In the bios, you set Primary Slave to NONE so that the other is not detected at all. Or if like confusing setups, you can leave the bios' Primary Slave to Auto and the other drive will be slaved to the "new" master.

As you can see, this is an extremely simple model. I don't think I'd consider anything model more complex than this - especially one that controlled power to the drive! In this case, the simplest method truly is the best!
Chiles4 is offline   Reply With Quote