Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-08, 07:50 PM   #1
XDanger
Whaaat?

Default I need to juggle my HDD's around ,Is there a flawless way?

I have 2x160gb drives striped with xp on

2x36gb raptors not striped anymore ,1 with vista on

I have 2 fresh 500gb drives

The striped drives aren't visible from the non striped raptors but the striped drives (xp) can see the raptors (vista) fine

Id like to put xp and vista each on their own 36gb drive and have 1 tb of striped

Im concerned vista wont want to be moved about so much and become inoperable.

Would this be a breeze with acronis or am I kidding myself.

I would just do clean installs but theres too much to back-up.
Old 01-28-08, 08:00 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: I need to juggle my HDD's around ,Is there a flawless way?

Whenever I'm dealing with RAID arrays I use Partition manager. I've sucessfully moved my friends Vista install from my raptor RAID onto his own array of drives. I've run into issues before using Symantec Ghost since it can't always read RAID arrays. (Arconis could have the same issue, but I really don't know.)

I'm not sure what you mean here:

Quote:
Id like to put xp and vista each on their own 36gb drive and have 1 tb of striped

Im concerned vista wont want to be moved about so much and become inoperable.
You want to have XP on 1 36GB drive and Vista on 1 36GB drive, and then have a 2 x 500GB Array?

The reason why your Vista install can't see your XP install is likely because it doesn't have RAID drivers installed. Once you do that then your Vista install will be able to see the XP install. Also just as a side note, if you ever want to move a single drive install to a RAID install, make sure that you install the RAID drivers before you clone the drive over. That way when it boots back up it can figure out how to load itself, otherwise you'll end up with a 0x0000007B error.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 08:23 PM   #3
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
You want to have XP on 1 36GB drive and Vista on 1 36GB drive, and then have a 2 x 500GB Array?
Yup.

Not so much because the drivers aren't installed but bios option is either raid or not raid and thats how I select my os,

Wait .... (the cogs are turning)

If I change the boot ini or play with vista boot pro ,can I make vista a boot option avoiding the need to disable raid in bios in order to load vista?

This is making my brain ache.
Old 01-28-08, 09:51 PM   #4
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
Yup.

Not so much because the drivers aren't installed but bios option is either raid or not raid and thats how I select my os,

Wait .... (the cogs are turning)

If I change the boot ini or play with vista boot pro ,can I make vista a boot option avoiding the need to disable raid in bios in order to load vista?

This is making my brain ache.
Yup. Normally you'd install XP, then install Vista afterword. This way Vista automatically adds its booting files onto XP's partition so you get the option to boot either Vista or XP. You can't edit the boot.ini file to load Vista (At least I don't think so) so you'll need to change it so that Vista loads first and then add an option to boot your XP partition. I'm not exactly sure how the Vista boot loader works as I've never really had to play with it yet.

In your Bios you should be able to set the priority to make the first bootable Hard drive the Vista drive so you shouldn't need to disable your raid at all to boot into Vista.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote