Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-08, 09:41 PM   #1
kaltek

Default "X: Terran Conflict" coming in Q3

mwahaha
Quote:
Egosoft and Koch Media have announced that their space trading and combat trilogy will come to a spectacular end this year with X: Terran Conflict. Terran Conflict will be a stand-alone title in the X universe and promises to deliver a grand finale that takes the player all the way back to Earths solar system. The game will feature a universe bigger than ever before, with more missions than ever before, and will be posing some questions like How has Earth changed in all these years? and And how will relations between Earth and its counterparts in the X universe develop?
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/200...rran-conflict/
kaltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 07:28 AM   #2
Thingding
Cakes > Pies

Default Re: "X: Terran Conflict" coming in Q3

i think X3 kinda missed the boat. unless it's finally an mmo...?
Old 02-04-08, 07:42 AM   #3
Vasot02
Crazy Greek guy

As a combat simulator Egosoft X games always seemed lacking and trade was never my favorite part

The combat system was kind of meh...

Also gathering money for some cool ships etc was a boring and very long procedure and with many repeative missions

X Universe just does not feel like Freespace Universe when it comes to combat which was an amazing Space combat simulator for the time

I just miss a good Space combat simulator
and i do not care about trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingding
i think X3 kinda missed the boat. unless it's finally an mmo...?
Blah

MMO games suck and are mostly swallow

If it becomes an MMO i surely will not buy it
Old 02-04-08, 08:59 AM   #4
Q

I miss PC space simulation/combat so much, this announcement could have been "Yogi Bear in Space" and I still would have gotten all hot and bothered.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 10:15 AM   #5
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Bought X3, still never devoted any time to it.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 04:39 PM   #6
swaaye

Yeah I own both X2 and X3 and neither really does it for me. The combat aspects are awful and the trading is just a go-nowhere ordeal in the end. After you've devoted hundreds of hours trading junk, figuring out the goofy economy and are a megacorp supermogul, the AI isn't going to do anything to give you a challenge. The games are just "odd" with the whole NorthSouthEastWest gate system and the strange concept of separate sectors which just happen to have businesses all grouped together in a tiny area.

I just want another space opera shooter game. Epic battle against enemy fleets. Freespace/XvT/WC kinda stuff.

Actually, a new Independence War would be cool. I loved the Newtonian flight model. The second game was a bit too hard IMO and empty-feeling, however. It also totally bombed in sales, I believe, so we'll likely never hear from that series again. lol.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 05:45 PM   #7
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

If its uses the FutrueMark's Vantage Engine i'll be happy

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 10:04 PM   #8
Greg

X3 was the first X game I bought. It was fun, though sometimes I felt like I was just flying around a skybox. The main problem was it took too long to achieve anything.

Really, these games are a kind of grind, which is not necessarily bad if you have freedom to do different things and have fun while doing them. A game like Diablo 2 was a near perfectly tuned grind, there was always something to achieve just minutes away. Pity the whole game involved clicking a button to either attack or retreat. Probably why I never bothered finishing it. But you get the idea, most gamers are now in their 30s and don't have time to spend all day or all weekend playing, so the game really needs to move at a fast pace and be playable in 30min to 1hr chunks with continuous fun and satisfaction.

One thing this new game appears to have, is the ability to defend (and finally own?) a sector. It was cool in X3 to start with one crappy ship and end up with a fleet including capital ships as well as factory complexes, but I really wished I could influence the game world by capturing and holding entire sectors, wiping out other races to achieve to higher level personal goals. Nothing like destroying a pirate base only to have it reappear some time later for no reason.

While I'm ranting... I notice the developers realized players quite enjoyed the BBS missions. I had played the game for about 60hrs before I even discovered the option to do missions. (I did see the option at first, but ignored it thereafter because it was just one option in some obscure menu.)
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-08, 10:57 PM   #9
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

X3 was awesome if you dedicated the time to it, read the unofficial guides, printed off the maps and ship/weapon stats, and sorted the wheat from the chaff with regards to the third party mods.

But the learning curve was horrible, unnecessarily so. The interface was confusing, things were poorly documented, even the language was cryptic. E.g. "yazura, mazura, wizuras" instead of days, mins, hours... the weapons were named things like HEPT alpha, HEPT beta... whats wrong with small plasma gun, medium plasma gun?... Then theres the ships - Argon Mercury, Taucan Hauler... ok which was the personal transporter again?

Quote:
One thing this new game appears to have, is the ability to defend (and finally own?) a sector. It was cool in X3 to start with one crappy ship and end up with a fleet including capital ships as well as factory complexes, but I really wished I could influence the game world by capturing and holding entire sectors, wiping out other races to achieve to higher level personal goals. Nothing like destroying a pirate base only to have it reappear some time later for no reason.
Agree with you completely.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote