Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-06-03, 10:46 AM   #1
myak

Default Driver hangs randomly

I have encountered following problem with nVidia drivers - when starting X my system just hangs (screen is pitch black, nvidia logo doesn't show) and I can do nothing at all. It first happened with 4346 and installig latest 4349 gave nothing.
I don't know if attaching XFree.0.log will help anybody, because the driver hangs at random time and XFree.0.log always finishes with something diffrent than before. But I attach the last one..
My XF86Config is generated by xf86config, only with Driver "nv" changed to "nvidia".
And what's the most strange in this situation - running the default, provided with my system driver "nv", everything works just fine.

The problem first showed after I unplugged my geforce, put it into other computer and plugged it again into my computer. I would think it's hardware failure, but then why everything is working fine with nv driver?
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (11.9 KB, 153 views)
myak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-03, 05:26 AM   #2
Tommi

I am not sure, but when the nvidia logo does not show, nvidia ís not loaded at all! I am quite sure about this. But if you have disabled the nvidia logo, then it wont show at all. But why you disabled it if you did? It tells you if you were succesfull.

When you use "nv" nvidia closed source driver is not loaded at all - this means that you are using open source nvidia driver, which is a joke. Its meaning is only to help you install Linux, that all. There is no performance at all with that- only 2d works somehow.

Try this for your XF86Config file:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

Hope it helps...you should see the logo, otherwise you have failed.

-Tommi
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-03, 05:32 AM   #3
myak

That's not the problem. When I'm using nvidia driver I get no logo at all because driver hangs. See attached XFree.0.log..

I've found the solution, I added Option "NvAgp" "0" and it works but my GF2mx is identified as GeForce2 MX/PCI. But it's really strange, because I was using default NvAgp and everything was ok.
myak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-03, 01:28 PM   #4
Tommi

Maybe you have accidently installed your agp card to pci card slot, I would like to see how this happens. :-)

-Tommi
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote