Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-08, 12:33 PM   #13
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Default Re: Samsung sued for first gen Blu-Ray players

If any one should be sued is MS for that HD-DVD add-on which will be obsolete withing the year when nearly no new movies come out for it. And who the hell cares about PIP when watching a movie is beyond.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 12:37 PM   #14
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
If any one should be sued is MS for that HD-DVD add-on which will be obsolete withing the year when nearly no new movies come out for it. And who the hell cares about PIP when watching a movie is beyond.
at least that drive has all the features.

also, that doesnt make sense. that's like saying beta max player manufacturers should have been sued.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 12:43 PM   #15
Tr1cK
not coming back

How are they going to be sued?
Did they not comply with the Blu-ray 1.0 spec as they advertised?
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try to sue the Blu-ray Disc Association?

It sound's like the early adopters just want something to whine about. Next they will be suing General Motors for their 2007 model cars not having the features that the 2008s do.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 01:00 PM   #16
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86

also, that doesnt make sense. that's like saying beta max player manufacturers should have been sued.
So how does it make sense to sue a company because you choose to be an early adopter? Its not like these players will stop playing Blu-Ray disks. There just pist off early adopters. When I bought my AM2 5600+ it was rated at 89watts, its now 65watts. Hey let me sue. Just be thankful its not a monumental flaw like the XBox 360. That is something you sue over.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 01:03 PM   #17
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

BD+ (the protection that these movies are breaking on was finalized in June 2007). The Samsung player was released in March 2007. So the protection on some movies fails in these players because (well no ****) they didn't have a final spec on the BD+ protection scheme. If BD+ was going to be such a huge deal for Blu-Ray why didn't they have it finalized BEFORE 3rd party set-tops were released?

Sony pulled this stunt in 2007 as well; releasing some DVDs w/ARccOS protection that failed on several players, but instead of forcing manufacturers to update their firmware, Sony pulled the protected DVDs off the shelves.

Should consumer devices have been marked as being "Draft" specs? Maybe, but I can tell you that "Sony" would not have wanted 3rd party manufacturers doing it, oh and Sony "didn't" do it on the PS3 (which required an update for the discs to work). This is Sony's/Blu-Ray Assoc. faux pas with their licensing and spec.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 01:05 PM   #18
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86

Being stuck with horrible lossy audio only isn't all of the features IMHO.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 01:18 PM   #19
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
ummm... excuse me? I have never seen one inciteful post by Superklye addressing the advantages of HD DVD. Evilchris has done a tremendous amount. Superklye either played parrot or acted like a retard(which got himself banned).

I'm all for giving credit where its due, and that guy doesn't deserve any.

Continue with the thread. And yes, Samsung deserved to be sued.
Chill, T-DAWG. It's not like I called you a gay stunt man or anything. I like SK and I like you, regardless to how either of you interact with other members,the forum ownership/leadership, or each other. You both have treated me with respect and that's about all I can ask.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 03:07 PM   #20
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
So how does it make sense to sue a company because you choose to be an early adopter? Its not like these players will stop playing Blu-Ray disks. There just pist off early adopters. When I bought my AM2 5600+ it was rated at 89watts, its now 65watts. Hey let me sue. Just be thankful its not a monumental flaw like the XBox 360. That is something you sue over.
another poor analogy.

its not a matter of feature set, it's a matter of support. all players should support all discs, or at least provide a path to support them. a new TDP does not make previous versions of the processor obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Being stuck with horrible lossy audio only isn't all of the features IMHO.
you dont understand either. at least the 360 add-on can play all the discs.

here's a breakdown of generations and capabilities.
http://www.emedialive.com/articles/r...leid=11397#iij

if a disc is written for a certain revision, and has requirements that your player isnt capable of meeting, your SOL. that's bull**** and grounds for a lawsuit.

idk why the sony camp cant understand this...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-08, 11:27 AM   #21
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Blu-Ray isn't a format, it's two right now and soon to be three.
These rediculous versions.. 1.0 , 1.1 and 2.0 are outright pathetic.

I don't want a PS3, and no standalone that I can currently buy will be anygood for when 2.0 does come about.

How is that a "good" product? It's actually sh1t considering it's suppose to be the format of the future.

The BDA can shove their crappy various versions aswell as their over priced MPEG2 back catalogue rubbish, and I am not paying 500 for a standalone player that will most likely be deemed useless in under a years time.

I can't wait until all the saps who bought the 1.0 players because the zoik at the store convinced them how great Blu-Ray is to find they are lacking features, or even worse, the player can't play the disc/s at all.

That day isn't too far away, and I expect standard DVD sales to hit a new all time high just after.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 11:33 AM   #22
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
How are they going to be sued?
Did they not comply with the Blu-ray 1.0 spec as they advertised?
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try to sue the Blu-ray Disc Association?

It sound's like the early adopters just want something to whine about. Next they will be suing General Motors for their 2007 model cars not having the features that the 2008s do.
Can you not see how retarded this is though?

Very good way to alienate buyers.

It's suppose to be a "format". **a** meaning one of, format meaning one of.

You could dig out a DVD player from years ago that came out the week of it's very creation and it would still play any title available today.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 11:49 AM   #23
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Can you not see how retarded this is though?

Very good way to alienate buyers.

It's suppose to be a "format". **a** meaning one of, format meaning one of.

You could dig out a DVD player from years ago that came out the week of it's very creation and it would still play any title available today.
"Except" for the ones that Sony released w/added protection (ArccOS). It is retarded, but to say it is the fault of Samsung is to not see who the real culprit is (BDA). The BDA are the ones who should be sued as they control everything Blu-Ray including who they wish to license their technology to and any terms surrounding those licenses.

If the BDA did not wish to cheese off customers they would've released terms that manufacturers of Blu-Ray devices must list the "version" and what discs it can play in their product documentation. Remember though all this happened during the format war, BDA didn't want a black-eye during this time as they worked for market-share so they allowed manuf. to release early hardware without noting that they did.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote