Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-03, 04:37 PM   #1
decnewbee

Unhappy nvidia nforce MCP ethernet adapter

hello, this is my first post so if i am posting in the wrong place forgive me.
i have this nvidia nforce MCP on board ethernet adaptor and i have installed RH 9.0 , it simply does not work. I have a cable connection and it does not recognize the ethernet adaptor. I read the previous posts in the forum and i already downloaded the NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar and the rpm file. The tar file does not work with "make" command and i cant compile it, i understand that it is a problem with the kernel version number but i dont know how to load it (read about it in a forum). After the installation of the rpm package it seems to recognize my adaptor but when i try to activate it i get the error "nvnet device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initalization"
Can anybody help me how to install the tar file, or do you know how to make this ethernet adaptor work?
i get the below message when i untar and write the "make" command
[root@gokselinux nforce]# make
make -C nvnet
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/goksel/nforce/nvnet'
cc -c -Wall -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O -Wstrict-prototypes -DCONFIG_PM -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -malign-functions=4 -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/build/include nvnet.c
make[1]: cc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/goksel/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2

make -C nvnet install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/goksel/nforce/nvnet'
mkdir -p //lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net
install -b -m 644 -o root nvnet.o //lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net
install: cannot stat `nvnet.o': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/goksel/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_install] Error 2

is it true that it is a kernel-source-version-number problem, how do i load it?

thx
decnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-03, 04:59 PM   #2
ALobpreis

This should go better to... Linux!
ALobpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-03, 10:16 PM   #3
geowiz

Default Gcc installed?

It doesn't appear to be a kernel version problem but it does appear that it may be that the development tools didn't get loaded during the OS install ( the link from gcc -> cc seems to be missing).

Since it is a rpm based distribution, you should check to see if gcc is installed. In a terminal window, type rpm -q gcc and verify that it is installed. If not, install the gcc rpm from the RH 9 cds.

A second problem may occur in doing the compile. The kernel build headers in the default RH kernel point to the source directory (/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8) so unless you've installed the kernel source it may not compile. So, you may have to install the kernel source from rpm also.

Even then, since the kernel source is not configured(I'm guessing - I don't install RH source), the necessary headers my not be available. The compile expects a valid build tree. I don't have a url for setting up the kernel - sorry. The Linux forums are the best place for this info.

Hope this is of some help ........
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-03, 06:36 AM   #4
decnewbee

Default thanx

thank you very much, i installed the developments tools and guess what it worked and not also it, linux recognized my ethernet adapter as well, i configured it manually and i WORKS, thx very much for your help appreciated,
sorry for posting in the wrong forum but it says "linux operating systems & software in the title of the forum" .
thx appreciated
decnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote