Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-08, 12:04 PM   #13
Technoholic

Send a message via MSN to Technoholic
Default Re: Brother's XPS 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by stncttr908
Perhaps if you persuaded him to get extended Newegg warranties on the important components he'd budge.
I told my mom about it, my dad told her he wanted Dell system because it's already built, makes life easier. Basically, I know a lot...not too much... about hardwares, and my dad knows A LOT about networks and he works A LOT too. So he won't have time to put parts by parts.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM
-- no longer own this system

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD
-- Stolen :^(

[STUFF]
-- PSN: lqfocus06
-- AEKDB
Technoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 12:18 PM   #14
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoholic
I told my mom about it, my dad told her he wanted Dell system because it's already built, makes life easier. Basically, I know a lot...not too much... about hardwares, and my dad knows A LOT about networks and he works A LOT too. So he won't have time to put parts by parts.
There's nothing wrong with buying a pre-built, you shouldn't have to justify your purchase (Or your dad's in this case).
Old 02-23-08, 12:43 PM   #15
Technoholic

You're right, there's nothing wrong with buying pre-built, but it can widen the hole in my dad's pocket. We have had been on tight budget for a while, and he still gets what my brother wants. I'm saying I could have gotten him a cheaper system for the same component or so.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD

[STUFF]
-- AEKDB
Old 02-23-08, 02:18 PM   #16
CapnKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoholic
You're right, there's nothing wrong with buying pre-built, but it can widen the hole in my dad's pocket. We have had been on tight budget for a while, and he still gets what my brother wants. I'm saying I could have gotten him a cheaper system for the same component or so.
Best of luck with that, it's the H2C 720?
I had to RMA the first one, the second, and the third one.

Set it up ASAP and run it non stop, because after 21 days Dell will not refund your money.

I got a full refund after 3 months from them after giving them the option to refund my money or I would be forced to take legal action which would cost them more money for what is called "pain and suffering"

No reply from them after a week past.
One phone call from my lawyer and 2 days later I received confirmation from Dell that my credit card charge would be refunded.

Had I not saved all the emails, chat logs and invoices as proof, it would have been a long drawn out process.

My point is, the XPS 720 H2C their top version is not made to last.
Heat being the main problem, standing behind it felt like a portable room heater.
The parts used are low to middle quality and between that and the heat. They fail. After going through 3 of them speaks for itself.

Having two 8800 Ultras this close is just insane.
http://home.comcast.net/~seven333/DSCF3693.JPG

And not water cooling them in a system that has a water cooling unit already for the cpu is pretty damn stupid.

That's an XPS 720 H2C.
Not sure if you got the same one, but in any case, your better make sure it's right before 21 days.

That was my experience with Dell and the XPS 720 H2C.
And that's all I can go by.

Hope you have no problems and remember to run the heck out of it before the refund limit is over.

Defiant Modification Solutions™
Defying Murphy's Law

"Show me, Don't tell me!"
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 01:20 AM   #17
Technoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKirk
Best of luck with that, it's the H2C 720?
I had to RMA the first one, the second, and the third one.

Set it up ASAP and run it non stop, because after 21 days Dell will not refund your money.

I got a full refund after 3 months from them after giving them the option to refund my money or I would be forced to take legal action which would cost them more money for what is called "pain and suffering"

No reply from them after a week past.
One phone call from my lawyer and 2 days later I received confirmation from Dell that my credit card charge would be refunded.

Had I not saved all the emails, chat logs and invoices as proof, it would have been a long drawn out process.

My point is, the XPS 720 H2C their top version is not made to last.
Heat being the main problem, standing behind it felt like a portable room heater.
The parts used are low to middle quality and between that and the heat. They fail. After going through 3 of them speaks for itself.

Having two 8800 Ultras this close is just insane.
http://home.comcast.net/~seven333/DSCF3693.JPG

And not water cooling them in a system that has a water cooling unit already for the cpu is pretty damn stupid.

That's an XPS 720 H2C.
Not sure if you got the same one, but in any case, your better make sure it's right before 21 days.

That was my experience with Dell and the XPS 720 H2C.
And that's all I can go by.

Hope you have no problems and remember to run the heck out of it before the refund limit is over.
Whoa PROPS to you man, thanks for telling me that. I'll have my father informed. And no, it's not 720 H2C, I believe, but we'll run it nonstop for awhile just in case.

[MY LAPTOP]
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD

[STUFF]
-- AEKDB
Old 02-25-08, 03:57 AM   #18
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Technoholic> Best of luck with bros rig there. I do like the design of the xps chassis, on the inside I can't comment, havent seen the inside of them.
A tip is to download a few stress test apps, both for cpu and gpu and run those in combination with a temperature monitor software. Links to these softwares you can find on the forum here, check benchmark/OC etc

CapnKirk> A bit late, but thanks for the info on the fan controller, Ive seen it available at online stores here in sweden but dang, they cost nearly 3 times as much as from the link you provided ...
*humm, sound equalizer ... sounds fishy lol*
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote