Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-08, 03:31 AM   #1
NeoNecro

Exclamation OpenTheBlob.com - An Open Letter For Open Drivers To NVIDIA

Good people of the nvnews forums,

I don't know if you did or didn't hear about this open letter/petition to nvdia that kindly asks them to open source there drivers? I have no idea that it is going to make any difference, but maybe, just maybe, it will show them how many people care about this.

The petition reached 5,000+ signatures in just four days. If you care about open source drivers for your nvidia card, you might consider signing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenTheBlob.com
We the GNU/Linux community and the undersigned, kindly request that you, NVIDIA Corporation, increase your efforts in better enabling the open-source community to develop free software drivers for your graphics hardware. Your major competitors in this market, AMD/ATI and Intel, have not only supported the community in open-source driver development efforts but they are now openly releasing hardware programming documentation.
Read more and sign the petition at OpenTheBlob.com and spread the news.
NeoNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 08:59 AM   #2
Linuxhippy

Default Re: OpenTheBlob.com - An Open Letter For Open Drivers To NVIDIA

they can't simply open-source their drivers, its that simple.
They contain a lot of licensed IP, its that simple
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 09:45 AM   #3
NeoNecro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy
they can't simply open-source their drivers, its that simple.
They contain a lot of licensed IP, its that simple
Did you read the the text on that site??

Quote:
We stand united under the name OpenTheBlob.com, but realize that legally it may be next to impossible to open-source the binary portion of your graphics driver due to patents and preserving some intellectual property in this competitive market. What we are, however, asking you for is to support the open-source community to the fullest extent possible.
Old 03-04-08, 10:05 AM   #4
txf

but they could do what their competitors are doing now. Intel provide open drivers and documention. Ati has been supporting the development of new open drivers and also documentation as well (this month they started providing documentation to the 3d engine). They have even stated that in the future the UVD engine could be designed for open source drivers in mind.

In the short term Nvidia could help out the nouveau project in various ways. They could provide hardware for testing or funding even if they cannot provide the code for their binary drivers. What the Nouveau project is doing isn't illegal so I fail to see what nvidia really stands to lose.

For a company that used to be the most progressive in the opensource world (i.e. their drivers worked properly and were well supported) are going to be the least progressive (open source ati drivers aren't really ready).
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 10:28 AM   #5
Linuxhippy

yes, right they could.

However I doubt a petition would help here. If their market-share would decrease on Linux workstations that would be something which would really help.
Old 03-04-08, 10:52 AM   #6
txf

If they carry on the way they are I think it's highly possible.

The fact that its closed source means that there is a bottleneck of support for bugfixes etc. since the only people that can fix bugs, test bugfixes are Nvidia. In the long term with open drivers a greater pool of developers can be used and drivers will mature much more quickly. Eventually ati cards are going to just work better under linux environments, not to mention intel drivers which are moving chunks of code into the kernel all of which will make usage of the nvidia driver more cumbersome for businesses and consumers.

A petition doesn't really hurt, and it serves to remind nvidia that there is a large pool of people who care enough about open drivers that they may move to nvidia's competitiors instead of just relying on the status-quo.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 11:23 AM   #7
Linuxhippy

I would be happy if at least the 2D drivers could be made open-source, hosted on top of EXA. Theres so much reverse-engineered information floating arround, that 2D drivers would in my opinion not release anything which should be kept secret.

So from that point of view, I signed the petition. NVidia please do it right, or let others do it for you for free - but don't let your customers pay the price of ignorance.

lg Clemens
Old 03-04-08, 11:50 AM   #8
NeoNecro

I've always chosen for an amd processor in combination with an nvidia graphics card and that's also what I did when I picked my laptop. But if I knew then what I know now I would have bought an all intel laptop. And if things don't improve by the time I'm going to buy a new one I will definitely go for the brands with the best Linux support.

If all the people that have signed the petition would do the same, or maybe just half of them, nvidia should definitely notice this. (It's not just the next card they were going to buy, but also the cards after that. A lot of people give advice to there friends what to buy, so they will also lose those customers.)

If this petition doesn't convince nvidia to do something about its open source policy it would anyway bring the importance of open source drivers to the attention of more people.