Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-08, 07:26 PM   #13
tacos4me

Default Re: DSL...The Nature Of The Beast

DSL isn't "always on" unless your provider hands out IPs via DHCP, which many don't. A lot of ISPs use PPPoE for their DSL service, which requires you perform a very painless 'dial' that takes no longer than 2 or 3 seconds. However, most routers can be set up to keep your PPPoE connection alive for however long you specify. So it's actually a virtual always on connection.

As for the distance thing, it gets rather complicated. Generally speaking, you're fine if you live under 15k feet from your local CO, or remote terminal. You're looking at 1.5Mbit - 3Mbit at that distance, and that's providing you have decent premises wiring.
Old 02-28-08, 03:38 AM   #14
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos4me
DSL isn't "always on" unless your provider hands out IPs via DHCP, which many don't. A lot of ISPs use PPPoE for their DSL service, which requires you perform a very painless 'dial' that takes no longer than 2 or 3 seconds.
yes it is, dsl is a PVC not a SVC..

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7944

Quote:
However, most routers can be set up to keep your PPPoE connection alive for however long you specify. So it's actually a virtual always on connection.
dsl providers use PPPoe as a way of authnticating and metering the end users, not for establishing curcuits.
Quote:
As for the distance thing, it gets rather complicated. Generally speaking, you're fine if you live under 15k feet from your local CO, or remote terminal. You're looking at 1.5Mbit - 3Mbit at that distance, and that's providing you have decent premises wiring.[/
the distance is more of a factor determined by the CO equiptment and loop lenght( which has nothing todo with phsical length of the loop) then the internal wiring.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 03:02 PM   #15
tacos4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman
yes it is, dsl is a PVC not a SVC..

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7944

dsl providers use PPPoe as a way of authnticating and metering the end users, not for establishing curcuits.
Dial = authenticate, in this case. Point being, you don't 'dial in' you don't get to surf the internet or download. Your modem may be permanently connected to the DSLAM and your ISP's network, but you still need to authenticate, which requires dial-up style "dialing" inside of Windows. In my eyes that's not always on. Technically, yes, it is. But PPPoE authentication is a pain in the ass, and much like dial up. There's also a small overhead when compared to DHCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman
the distance is more of a factor determined by the CO equiptment and loop lenght( which has nothing todo with phsical length of the loop) then the internal wiring.
I don't know what to make of that statement. Of course loop length is a physical length. Loop length is the physical copper cable length from your local CO to your premises. It's as simple as that. DSL signals attenuate over distance, so the higher your loop length, the lower your attainable sync rate. Premises wiring also has a huge impact from my experience, especially in older houses with ancient copper. At lower sync rates, it's not much of an issue, but when you get up to 7-8Mbit, it starts to become a huge problem. That's when POTS splitters and CAT5 come in handy.
Old 02-29-08, 06:12 PM   #16
JasonPC

Yeah the quality of service does very much depend upon your locale and the overall situation. The farther away from the central office or remote terminal, the more likely you will only be able to qualify for one of the lower banwidth tiers (if they offer tiers) or at all. Even if you do qualify for DSL, there are other conditions dealing with the telephone wires that can degrade service. But if they are offering DSL, they should be able to correct those issues. Your own home's wiring also can limit bandwidth if it is very old.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 12:48 AM   #17
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos4me
Dial = authenticate, in this case. Point being, you don't 'dial in' you don't get to surf the internet or download. Your modem may be permanently connected to the DSLAM and your ISP's network, but you still need to authenticate, which requires dial-up style "dialing" inside of Windows. In my eyes that's not always on. Technically, yes, it is. But PPPoE authentication is a pain in the ass, and much like dial up. There's also a small overhead when compared to DHCP.

I don't know what to make of that statement. Of course loop length is a physical length. Loop length is the physical copper cable length from your local CO to your premises. It's as simple as that. DSL signals attenuate over distance, so the higher your loop length, the lower your attainable sync rate. Premises wiring also has a huge impact from my experience, especially in older houses with ancient copper. At lower sync rates, it's not much of an issue, but when you get up to 7-8Mbit, it starts to become a huge problem. That's when POTS splitters and CAT5 come in handy.
Lets just agree that my point of view is one from an engineering point of view and your's is one from an enthusiasts....
Old 03-01-08, 12:56 AM   #18
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

What point of view does an enthusiastic engineer have?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 12:58 AM   #19
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
What point of view does an enthusiastic engineer have?
a boner?
Old 03-01-08, 01:01 AM   #20
crainger

Let me see...

Correct.

Old 03-01-08, 01:02 AM   #21
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Let me see...

Correct.
boooonnnnggg!!!!
Old 03-08-08, 11:59 AM   #22
ATi
RooR

Thumbs up Re: DSL...The Nature Of The Beast

my dsl is on 24/7
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 08:03 PM   #23
crainger

That's good news.
Old 03-08-08, 11:13 PM   #24
Runningman

would life had gone on if we didnt know that? only one can wonder....